General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Honda Accord V6 - Wont start first try

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Default 1998 Honda Accord V6 - Wont start first try

Folks, I'd really appreciate some help with this one:

My wife and I own a 1998 Honda Accord V6 sedan. About two weeks ago it has had trouble starting.

For the first week of this issue, it often (but not always) did not start on the first try. I will crank it for 4 or 5 seconds and it will not catch. The car cranks very strong. I then turn the key back to II and wait maybe 1 second. Then turn the key back to ignition and it started basically right away. It never dies or stalls or quits running once it’s running. It seems to idle fine.

A couple of days after the issue started I replaced the sparkplugs and wires with parts from the Honda dealer. It had been starting fine most of the time since the replacement except maybe once or twice it took a second try to start. But a week after the replacement (this Sunday) the problem came back – quite often it doesn’t start on the first/second try. And this morning it seemed to have got worse that it only started at the 6th try.

I’ve gone down this list Honda Acura Essential Electrical Repair Website. Troubleshooting Main Relay, Coil, Igniter, etc. but none of these really seem to quite match the symptoms.

-The problem happens when the car is both hot and cold.
-The car may have been off over night or all day while my wife is at work and it will sometimes start right away, sometimes take 2 or 3 trys.
-The problem happens regardless of the weather (such as it’s been for the last 2 weeks, we live in northern Virginia)
-For several starts the problem wont happen at all. Then for several starts it happens each time. And I don’t mean with-in the same hour or same shopping trip. It might be not happen in the evening then not happen again the next morning.

One other clue, and hopefully this helps someone go “ah-ha!” at the same time the starting showed up the keyless entry started having issues. If I push the ‘un-lock’ button while whatching the door locks I would see them try to open, but they wouldn’t be able to. SOMETIMES the keyless entry works, sometimes not. Additionally, when in the car (with it running or not running) and using the switch on the car to unlock all the doors, the door locks on the driver side function, but fail to unlock the passenger side door locks.

Additional misc info:
We purchased the vehicle used with about 62,000 miles on it. It was in extremely good condition. It now has 110,000 and I have kept up with the maintenance on it.

If I missed any information please let me know and I'll try to fill it in as best I can.

Last edited by semaj; 08-16-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:06 PM

Guys, still having trouble, any help or suggestions?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, the site was down for most of the day.

I don't know if the locking problem is related to the starting problem. I would stop by a parts store and have them scan for engine codes. They start with the letter P and have 4 numbers, like P1234.

Get in the habit of turning the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. When the check engine light turns on for the bulb check, the fuel pump should turn on for about two seconds. It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat, so turn off the radio, blower, etc.. and listen carefully. Let us know if that sound is present when the car doesn't start.

The 98-02 accords had an ignition switch recall. I would call your dealership and see if this was done on your car.

Also, I would disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:19 AM

PAhonda,

Thanks for the reply. I saw the site was down yesterday so I just wanted to bump my post :-)

Engine codes: I actually have a code reader and my engine is throwing one code; but it's the P0401 EGR code. I will be fixing it on Saturday. It's just that nothing I've read connects that code to the issue with starting the car.

Since this issue started and I started researching it we have been turning the key to II and letting the fuel pump run and the 'second click' from the relay to go before trying to start the car, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

I will call the dealer with the VIN to see if the ignition switch was fixed under recall.

As far as the battery cables go: I can clean them, but they look REALLY good. There is no corrosion on them they look clean, and they're solid...

That's why I'm a bit at my wits end with this...

Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 AM

Just posting the resolution of the issue, in case it can help anyone else...

In the end... it turned out to be the cars battery. I have no idea why, and everyone I explain it to can't understand either. You could turn the key once, twice, three, four, five or up to six times. Each time the starter would crank HARD but the car just wouldnt catch.

Eventually, one day in early November the weather got very cold. The starter would not crank at all and the car needed a jump. I immediately replaced the battery (with one from Costco) and the issue was resolved...

I'm sorry if this explanation doesnt make sense, because I dont understand it myself. The only 'advice' I have is that if you can purchase a battery at some place that will let you return it within like 7 days or something and see if that fixes the issue :-/

One other point of note: before the issue finally 'ended' with the dead battery I had taken the battery to the autoparts store and had it tested and it was low on cold crank amps. It was like JUST under what was considered the minimum for the vehicle. But since the car was cranking and starting I did not replace the battery at that time. So perhaps you could have the auto parts store load test the battery and see if it has a similar thing going on.