Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   '04 Accord 4cyl auto. Won't shift out of Park & CEL on (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/04-accord-4cyl-auto-wont-shift-out-park-cel-55111/)

TrendiNC 06-02-2013 05:32 PM

2004 Accord 4 cyl. automatic won't shift out of park & the Check Engine Light is on.

Hi, I own a 2004 Accord EX 4 cylinder automatic. The check engine light came on while driving yesterday. When coming to a stop, during downshifting, the car feels like it's going to stall but idles fine. Today, I cannot get the car to shift out of park without using the key override. Brake lights work fine so I don't suspect it's the brake light switch.

After using the key override, I drove it a short distance and the car still shakes when slowing down, as if it is about to stall. It shifts a little harder than normal when accelerating, but does shift.

Car has 57K miles on it and just had an oil change (approx 1 month ago). I don't own a code reader. Any ideas as to what the issue is?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

TexasHonda 06-02-2013 05:58 PM

Drive to auto parts store and ask then to pull the codes. Write the codes down and post them for help.

good luck

TrendiNC 06-04-2013 09:47 AM

TexasHonda,
Thanks. Do I run the risk of damaging the car by driving it to the auto parts store? It's about 10 mi away,

TexasHonda 06-04-2013 11:38 AM

As long as Check Engine Light is not flashing (missing engine) you should be fine.

good luck

TrendiNC 06-04-2013 01:44 PM

Thanks. I went to Advanced Auto Parts today to read the CEL codes. It was P0122, Throttle Position Sensor. I am unable to check the voltage because I do not own a volt meter. They said I should replace the Bwd Automotive PPS1047 Accelerator Pedal Sensor and would be about $165. Now I have seen TPS for around $35 aren't these two different parts? Why do you think he said I needed an Accelerator Pedal Sensor? I didn't think to ask until after we left. I will check out the TPS visually to see if there are any damaged wires or if they are rubbing on anything.

The auto repair shop wants $108 just to do a diagnostic in addition to the repair. Oh, and by the way the check engine light has gone out, and I am quite sure they did not clear the code at Advanced Auto. Even though the CEL is off we still can't get the car out of park without using the shift override.

Anymore suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks again for your time.

Dr. Drivability 06-04-2013 02:56 PM

the 4 cylinders (like you have) are not drive by wire and do not have the APP sensor. the code for the TPS will cause your shift out of park problem...if you can get the correct TPS and replace it let us know where you got it from. otherwise you will need a complete throttle body assy.

TrendiNC 06-04-2013 04:11 PM

OK, here is what I did. Since I do not have a volt meter while I was checking the cables I disconnected the wire assy. from the TPS and started the car, I was able to shift out of park as normal. That tells me it must be the TPS. How do I remove the bolts?? And can I just remove the TPS alone without removing anything else (I have plenty of clearance).

Dr. Drivability mentioned "if you can get the correct TPS and replace it let us know where you got it from. otherwise you will need a complete throttle body assy." What is the correct TPS for a 2004 Accord 4 cyl 2.4L and why would I need to replace the throttle body assy.? I have found several online ranging from $17 - $40 is there someplace I should buy it from?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Dr. Drivability 06-04-2013 04:20 PM

i should have been more clear, this TPS is not made to be replaced alone...however i have seen aftermarket ones, Standard, comes to mind that have kits along with the TPS that allow you to replace them.

TrendiNC 06-04-2013 04:30 PM

Really? So TPS that I've found online for example this one on ebay: HQRP Throttle Position Sensor TPS Fits Honda Accord 2003 2004 2005 | eBay cannot be used to replace just the TPS in my Accord? I've read several posts that talk about replacing just the TPS like this posting: The Official Honda TPS wiring and calibration thread - Honda-Tech Now that is for an older model but I really cannot replace just the TPS?

Thanks for your help. I was hoping to do this on my own without going to a shop but it's looking more and more like that's unavoidable.

redbull-1 06-04-2013 04:38 PM

You can remove the TPS yourself. It should be two shear bolts holding it on. You would make an indentation on the shear bolt head with a center punch. Then hold the center punch at an angle where you made the indentation. Using a hammer and the center punch, you would hit it going counter-clockwise to loosen the shear bolt.

Blox makes an aftermarket TPS for your Accord.

For informational purposes: Earlier 7th generation Accords 4 cylinders (2003 - 2005) didn't have drive-by-wire throttle system. Later 7th generation Accord 4 cylinders (2006 - 2007) had drive-by-wire.

2003 - 2007 V6 Accords had drive-by-wire.