Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   06 front blinkers mystery (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/06-front-blinkers-mystery-58435/)

Th55 03-04-2014 08:01 PM

06 front blinkers mystery

I got a hail damaged 2005 Accord coupe LX, four cylinder with Auto tranny last summer as a winter fixer upper. uncoupled all the bulbs and wrapped the sockets up with bulbs still in place, and dismantled the car as needed to do the body repairs. fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, car completed save a few trim pieces and touch ups, installed battery in and ran car all is perfect, except blinkers, both blink fast, front two bulbs bad.

No problem go buy a couple 1157A to install, 1rst problem, globe of 1157A wont fit in socket of new lights. original bulbs (both were blown) are 3/4" amber globe with only " 12v 21/5W dot" on it. 2nd problem even with bulbs installed blinkers blink really fast.

(front) Runnning lights are very bright and blinker is so dim it is hardly percivable plus blinker still blinks fast. its as if the 1157a bulb is internally wired backwards. In fact i ground off the locking lugs of a spare 1157a bulb anstalled it 180 deg out and running light and blinker works perfectly.

Before I did this I found a 9$ a peice B-1007A bulb that fits in the socket but is electriclly wired just as the 1157A so it will not blink correctly but will fit the hole.

I did install aftermarket headlights but Im 99 % sure the others were factory, I cant be 100% sure because I trashed them the day before I powered up the car. I went to the honda place and parts guy says he has never seen a bulb like this. I do know these bulbs were in the car when I got it but since they were both bad there is no way for me to ohm out the bulb to confirm the wattage to socket arrangement.

I can make them work by reversing the hot wires to each blinker but would rather not do that since it highly unlikely hail damage reversed the wiring to only the front 2 blinkers.

Anyone have an idea of this issue? or perhaps a part # for what was OEM in this car?

PAhonda 03-04-2014 10:07 PM

Can you tell me the wire colors for the electrical connector for each bulb?

Th55 03-05-2014 09:06 AM

Pax side red/blk - black - Brn

Driver side Red/blk - blk - red/blu

Driver side has 2 silver dots spaced about every inch on each wire plus colors. Pax side has limited loose wire to pull out and examine closely, plus wire loom is close to the end at connector.

I am red green color deficient so I have difficulty with red green and brown but I'm 90 % sure this is correct

PAhonda 03-05-2014 08:00 PM

The red/blk wire is the 12V side for the running lights.

Red/blu and brn are the 12V side for when the turn signal is on.

Blk is ground.

Use a volt meter to verify the proper wires are getting voltage when they should.

I think the parts store should have a book showing the proper bulb required for your car. A junkyard is another option.

Th55 03-06-2014 09:16 AM

That's the confounding part to this, 1157a is what every book I've seen says goes on it. A regular 1157a globe won't even fit in the headlight assy.

I'll double check the power when I get back home. I wonder if I would be able to remove the wires from the bulb socket, on second though its probably soldered to the brass springs.

Th55 03-07-2014 05:01 PM

The power to the lamp socket is correct per color code mentioned above I had a brainstorm wondering if the sockets could be reversed for left Hand/right hand, but alas. Both socket receptacles are identical. It's still points to bulbs being assembled reversed, which is crazy never mind the issue with the bulb globes being too large. I'm going to stop by junk yard in am to see if I can get another socket.

poorman212 03-09-2014 09:14 AM

Verify continuity to ground on the black wire. If you did front end work there might be an issue on the ground wire.

AndrewDarnell 04-25-2014 03:07 PM

Hey Th55, did you fix this problem? I have the exact same problem with my 2003 Accord. I noticed after taking the wiring out and inspecting everything that the 1157a bulbs have two filaments and the super bright one is the one on all the time with headlights and the dimmer one is being used for turn signaling. I'm not sure how the bulb is supposed to operate with the lights on. However, since the super bright filament doesn't turn off with the blinker you can barely tell anything is even blinking when the headlights are on. When the headlights are off, the dimm blinkers are fine and "appear" to be working although the car still knows something isn't correct cause the blinkers flash rapidly.

So I feel my issue is a direct result of trying aftermarket headlights with LEDs that used the turn signal's ground/power by splicing into the wiring harness a few years ago but have since then changed back to the oem headlights. They have been this way ever since changing them back from the stupid flashy LED lights. I'm going to try replacing the relay switch under the the steering wheel near the driver's left foot and see if that works. I read that there's a good chance I screwed that up since i don't think i had resisters.

Th55 04-26-2014 08:16 AM

I checked the voltage as per the correct wire code listed above and it was correct but the 1157a bulbs were still illuminating reverse, I found that a B-1007a bulb is a small globe version of the 1157a and would fit in the new headlamp assy, but had to order that bulb. Same thing, next I went to junk yard and got sockets off a wrecked on and cross checked . It had 1157a in it so I finally just used the bulb sockets I got in junk yard to mount in light housing and made a plug to where I could swap the polarity of the 2 hot wires to the bulb. Problem solved. I guess I'll die wondering how the heck these things got swapped around in the first place? It''s like the sockets locking lugs were reversed. They were a different color plastic on the one from just junk yard and it was the same year model and make car???????? Good luck.

Damonerlisa 05-24-2014 09:01 PM

fast blinking lights on aftermarket headlights

So, hey guys, I read the threads and I have the same issue....had some body work to do and replaced the headlights on my 2007 Honda Accord with after market. The amber bulb 12V21/5W DOT bulbs went out but started blinking crazy fast. Now for an average old gal...I cannot find the bulb to replace but it sounds like even if I did that it would still be an issue. NOW....what I found interesting is the relay switch being replace under steering column. Interestingly enough, I have had this mysterious ticking that comes from that area and every time I take in to the dealership they are clueless as it stops. Now I am wondering is that tied to the fact the light flashes fast? It did not do that until the after market. I do not understand the whole electrical thing and the costs to find someone to fix and do all of what you guys are talking about is crazy daunting to me. So, what do you suggest....get the alternative bulb, order the amber bulb 12V21/5W DOT and just deal with it. I am exhausted over this and frustrated.