Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   1984 accord 3 door dx man. Ca won't idle (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/1984-accord-3-door-dx-man-ca-wont-idle-48086/)

Scott Dennis Smith 06-13-2012 10:24 AM

1984 accord 3 door dx man. Ca won't idle

I'm fixing a 1984 accord that sat for 4 years.
I got it running good and drive it every day.

It would not idle until I removed the wires to the switch on the clutch pedal.
I'm trying to find out where these wires go.
The car is the base model with no options.

I think that this has to do with California emissions as the wireing diagram that I have show these go to the cruise control, but that is not installed on this car.

It also seems to idle fast until it is pretty warm.

I am 61 years old and used to own one of these 20 years ago LX model.

poorman212 06-13-2012 07:47 PM

I wish I would have paid more attention when I had my 2nd gen :). Really got into doing things when I got my 3rd gen (86-89).

Anyway, I can't remeber if the clutch switch is normally closed or normally opened. I do remember these would stat in gear :). I've been trying to read the books I have and can't find which it is.....sounds like the switch is the issue. So if you can I would test the switch in both positions and see if it changes (closed to open...or open to closed).

Scott Dennis Smith 06-14-2012 09:56 AM

Clutch sw

poorman212

Thank you for the reply.

I found this problem by accident when I was just getting this running.:)

I would start it with the clutch in and in neutral and then when I let the clutch out it would die every time. I disconnected the SW an it now runs. I do not think that it is the SW because if it were it would either not run or run in either SW position.:)

I think that it is normally open.

Without cruise control I don't know what the SW is for, that is why I think it might be for some kind of California emissions, the one that I owned back in the 80's was from washington and did not have CA emissions and had cruise.

Thanks for any help.
P.S. nice picture, I was a Marine from 69 to 73.

Scott Dennis Smith 06-15-2012 08:06 PM

clutch sw

I guess I'll just follow the wires and see if I can figure it out the hard way.

Thanks for the post:):D

poorman212 06-16-2012 08:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, we get behind on reading sometimes. Plus I don't have much of a life anymore but sometimes have my own issues to resolve, want to help with my vtec solenoid leak on my 95 :) .....I hate getting to that thing.

Anyway, I looked (somewhat) for a shop manual for the 2nd gen and didn't find anything. So using the chilton and haynes books I have for the 2nd gen and the shop manual for the 3rd gen and a bit of theory and thinking here is what I've come to:

Even though there is no cruise, the clutch switch seems to be tied to two solenoids on the carb. Throttle controller and cranking opener. This pic is from a 3rd gen but the 2nd gen books had this same set up listed in the book. The wire colors were not listed in the books so I not sure if yours will be the same as this pic.

The car did sit for many years, I want to be sure that things didn't get "gummed up" while sitting.

PS- Thank you for your service :).

That picture is actually my oldest son, may he rest in peace. That will make for a fun fathers day tomorrow.

Scott Dennis Smith 06-16-2012 10:00 AM

:)Thanks for the picture.
I think that may be it as this one has two valves (with vacume hoses) mounted on the left fender well that I don't see on one that I looked at in the junkyard.

I'll look into it.

Thank you for your son's service also.:)

Scott Dennis Smith 07-04-2012 01:08 PM

Found it

While filling the tank I noticed I had a bad gas cap.

I replaced it (fixed a loss of vacume) and reconnected the switch.

It is now running really well.

Thanks for the help poorman212 !

Have a great 4th of July!:)

poorman212 07-04-2012 06:26 PM

Glad you got it and it was an easy fix.

Thanks for coming back with an update.