General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1989 accord timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 07:25 PM
Default 1989 accord timing belt

Metro honda advertising timing belt package 4cyl 469$ up from 399 last couple of years. Best around from a dealer but what should i expect from non dealers nowadays? Trying to help my father in law get his old 89 up and running good .. has 240k miles and if the records are correct it hasnt had a timing belt in 140k miles and is still kicking somehow. Wouldnt surprise me as he is not known for maintenance. Only outstanding issue seemingly at this point is the carb is flooding at start - i think the float or needle but have not tried to inspect and clean. The clutch is on its last leg. Needs paint job. This is a project car - doing a little here and there. Goal right now is to change the 6 year old oil and change the leaking valve cover gasket. Did all the maintenance for the tune up otherwise and drained the old fuel, replaced with new fuel pump, changed both filters, plugs wires etc.

Id like to find someone good but will do the job under 300 for the timing belt considering the age and value of this car. I mean the parts arent even 100.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

That price is not bad for a timing belt, IMO. Price depends on several factors, one being where you live. Just call around to other shops and ask what they would charge.

If you are trying to save money, you may want to DIY. Timing belts are too difficult, just a lot of steps to get to the belt.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Timing belt is pretty easy on these, small time consuming steps but nothing too bad.

Biggest thing is going to be the crankshaft bolt. These do not have the "holder" that the newer generation Accord have.

If you don't have a "really good" impact and compressor, there is still another option. Before I had all of the "cool tools", I took the car to a local shop and asked a tech to use his impact on the crankshaft bolt to loosen it. Then "slightly" tighten it. With the tires turned all the way to the left and the little "plug" removed from the splash shield - forget which years in this gen had the "plug" vs a hole - you can reach the crankshaft bolt without doing anything else. Slip the tech ~$10.

Drive straight home. Get your tools out and be sure you can loosen the bolt. If so, time for fun.

Do the "job" - books, manual and our help will get you thru the work. Once done, go back to the shop a ask the tech to tighten the crank bolt, slip him another $10.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Default a small look at the timing belt today

replaced the valve cover and slightly bent back the cover on top. Belt looked right off the shelf on the backside of what was viewable through teh cover and teh teeth i could see looked good. No cracks or anything on the backside. Do you think this was a satisfactory enough look or could it be very misleading? It is possible my sister and law had it done and didnt keep any records of it.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

They all look fine....just before they go

There are like two 10mm "headed" bolts holding the top cover on. remove the three nuts on the VC - I hope you only put "hondabond"/sealer on the "cover" side of the gasket - lift it slightly and the top cover will come off. Spin the engine - pick your method - do you see clean/new writing on the belt?

Last, ask the PO about the timing belt-service records-memories-ect.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

You should be able to call your honda dealer and give them your VIN. A timing belt replacement should come up in the service records if any Honda dealership did that service on the car.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:29 PM

Yeah clean print on belt