Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   1991 Honda Accord Ex maintenance Problem (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/1991-honda-accord-ex-maintenance-problem-35110/)

Gne3DO 09-22-2010 01:58 PM

1991 Honda Accord Ex maintenance Problem

Took my nice riding 1991 honda ex to honda garage for new timing belt , water pump and Vehicle Speed Sensor. Now it jerks and bounces so hard every time we drive over any flaw in the road to the point that it can hurt our neck or back or even the car. I took it to another garage for an opinion and the guy took it for a ride and said it wasn't the timing belt but said it rode like a 1 ton truck. We feel so bad after spenting $1,000 to maintain my nice honda. What could they have done to cause this?

PAhonda 09-22-2010 03:39 PM

Take it back to the original shop. Have the shop recheck the timing marks. Did they mess with adjusting the valves at all?

JimBlake 09-22-2010 06:37 PM

None of that should affect the ride. It's almost as if the springs or shocks are seized up but that's pretty bizzare. Look at all 4 corners & try bouncing the car as it's parked.

Gne3DO 09-22-2010 11:13 PM

Update on1991 Honda Accord Jerking and bouncing

Took it back to the Honda garage and they said we need new shocks, struts and springs.
Also that with 180,000 miles on our car they are in need of replacement. That the car started to bottom out and drive like a 1 ton and it was just bad timing that it happened while our maintenace work was being done on it. They came to this conclusion after they rechecked every thing out that they did including checking that they tightened the motor mounts correctly. Is their any brand of shocks, struts or springs that you would recommend for a more comfortable ride?

deserthonda 09-22-2010 11:51 PM

i have seen that happen before, after car has been lifted on the shop lift struts seize up and won't collapse properly.. Nothing that the other shop did to cause that ,,

I have lifted thousands of cars and i have seen it happen a handful of times , as a matter of fact it happened to us on a 1999 crv just a few months ago , after just doing a 120k miles service ,,frt struts were seized up,

why does it need springs ?? KYB struts are pretty good , a lot cheaper that dealer parts

Gne3DO 09-23-2010 01:25 AM

They said the springs were sagging. We drove the car home tonite til we decide what we want to do with it. We will have to take a good look at them and determine if we want to or need to change the springs. I've also read somewhere that usually a person doesn't have to change the springs. What is your opinion on the Monroe quik-struts w/springs or other brands with the springs on them? We've read some good and some bad reviews on them. Also thank you all for your opinions and suggestions.