Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   1993-1997 Accord 2.7 trouble codes 1361 and 1381 (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/1993-1997-accord-2-7-trouble-codes-1361-1381-a-64446/)

Logantheswimmer 03-23-2017 12:11 PM

1993-1997 Accord 2.7 trouble codes 1361 and 1381

I hope someone can help.

1995 Honda Accord 2.7L (v6). I'm getting trouble codes P1361 (Top Dead Center Sensor Intermittent Signal Interruption), P1381 (Cylinder Position Sensor Intermittent Interruption), and P0336 (Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Range/Performance)

For clarification, because people seem to be confused on this issue, the 95 accord v6 camshaft position sensor and TDC sensor are on the same bracket, mounted behind the crank pulley. The crankshaft position sensor is mounted by the oil pump, behind the timing covers.

The car starts up great and usually runs for a while, but then a piston will occasionally misfire. Once this starts, the check engine signal goes on (if I had reset it before driving, otherwise it'd already be on), and pretty soon, it misfires a lot and stalls. I can pop it into neutral, turn the car off, wait 10 sec, start it up and keep driving for a while before it happens again.

I have dug down to and checked the camshaft position sensor with a voltmeter and it seems to be fine. I have also checked the TDS/camshaft sensor and it also seems to be fine, though I don't have the specs for resistances and whatnot. The TDS/camshaft sensor plug had a bunch of gunk and oil in it, which I cleaned out and that improved the problem a little - it usually doesn't seem to happen below 50mph now.

I'm not sure what I'm doing, but sometimes messing with the TDC/camshaft sensor plug can cause the car to get horribly worse and dye as soon as I start. Continuing to mess with it seems to bring it back to an "improved but still messed up" state.

I've also replaced the ignition coil.

I don't want to replace this sensor if I can help it, as I have to get behind the timing belts and camshaft to get to it, it's a $200 sensor, and I'm not even sure it's the problem. These sensors seem to be either good or bad (I think).

Any advice?
Thanks

redbull-1 03-23-2017 01:14 PM

It usually is the sensor on the 95 V6. See this thread: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...s-49802/page2/

Logantheswimmer 03-23-2017 01:22 PM

@redbull-1, any idea why the P0336 code would be thrown as well? I find it strange that the car was completely fine, and then all of these codes came on at once.

Logantheswimmer 03-23-2017 01:49 PM

@redbull-1, any idea why the P0336 code would be thrown as well? I find it strange that the car was completely fine, and then all of these codes came on at once.

Logantheswimmer 03-23-2017 01:57 PM

And another question...
If I were to replace the camshaft/TDC sensor, my thought is that I would have to take off the alternator and remove the engine mount in that corner to be able to take off the timing covers (all 3) and timing belt before taking off the crank pulley and crank back cover to get to the sensor.

Is it advisable/possible to just take off the upper timing cover, somehow remove the timing belt from just the crank pulley so I could take off the crank pulley and crank back cover? The part I'm not sure about is keeping everything in time when I'd be struggling to relieve enough tension in the belt to get it off (and then back on afterwords) the crank pulley.

poorman212 03-25-2017 09:51 AM

If you are going to get in there, best to go ahead and do it without trying to cut corners. You are also going to be looking at a few maintenance items right in your face so you might think about replacing them since you are there.

Anytime you remove a timing belt, it is a good idea to make marks on the belt and "gear(s)" before you remove the belt. If you re-use the belt you can just make sure the belt marks go back right where the mark is on the gear. If you replace the belt, transfer the marks from the old belt to the new one - count the number of teeth on the one one and then the same one the new one.