General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Accord CV Axle repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Question 94 Accord CV Axle repair

I have been hearing a clicking in my car's front wheels for the past several years. It has been getting really bad over the past year. I finally took it in to have new CV Axles installed. The shop told me that I am looking at a long list of problems that will cost me $1200 or more to fix. My car is not even worth that much. They told me that the car is not safe and should be parked.
Is there any way I can patch this car up to make it last a couple of more years for $500 or less? I really don't want to look for a new vehicle right now.
I'll post more details of the problems after I pick the car up tonight.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

If you replace the axles your self you are looking at about $160 for both axles, maybe $15 for axles seals, and maybe $20 or $40 for transmission fluid. But the axles are by no means a fun job to do, and do require some special tools.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by nebulabass
I'll post more details of the problems after I pick the car up tonight.
looking for your list.

I had a Nissan and drove it for ~20,000 miles with the CV's going out; sounds much like you.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by live2rice
If you replace the axles your self you are looking at about $160 for both axles, maybe $15 for axles seals, and maybe $20 or $40 for transmission fluid. But the axles are by no means a fun job to do, and do require some special tools.
replacing the axles is pretty basic (well to me I guess)

No real special tools needed, just need...

A strong inpact wrench (plus big air compressor)
36 mm deep socket
ball joint fork
large pry bar
propane torch (I find it much easier to remove the ball joints after heating them up)

Ok I guess you could call them special tools - to me those are just normal everyday tools. -- LOL

Old 02-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Please list the items that you need to replace.

Are you planning on doing the repairs yourself?

Old 02-17-2012, 12:41 AM

I would not try to work on the car myself. They told me that the CV shaft / axle can break in half and is not safe to drive. It looks like I will have to get another car. The car has 202,000 miles on it. Do you think it is worth fixing? Here is the list:

-Both CV axles are bad (torn boots)
-Both upper ball joints are bad
-Both outer tie rod ends bad
These three items will cost $1200 to fix at this point

Additional problems:
-Oil pan gasket leaks
-Both sway bar links are bad (Dry)
-Front lower engine mount broken
-Both front hub bearings are bad
-Rack and pinion leaks
-Rack boot is torn open
-Rear brake shoes recommend clean and adjust
-Power steering fluid is bad
-Brake fluid is bad
-All 4 struts and mounting plates are bad
-Valve cover gasket leaks
-Recommend PCV valve
-Recommend fuel induction service
-Blinker socket is bad (replacing bulb did not work)

Last edited by nebulabass; 02-17-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

You have a lot of suspension work to get the car back to normal, if all the components are in bad shape.

I would take your car to a place like midas to get a quote. Just act like you have no clue what is wrong with your car and ask to get a quote for what needs repaired. Maybe they will come back with a different list of items.

For under $500, you will have to do these repairs yourself.

None of the repairs are too complicated, IMO.

Search for v=jydxpsh13WQ on YouTube just to see how to replace an axle on an accord. You may feel more confident in attempting to replace.

The upper ball joint and outer tie-rod are simpler DIYs compared to the CV joint.

Some of the items in your list are not too difficult. PCV is very simple.

Are you losing a lot of power steering fluid? The leak may be minor.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 AM

The front motor mount is pretty easy to replace.

17 mm socket and a short extension.

I just bought one for $17.00 on ebay

Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

While some are very simple and cheap, there are others that are more expensive. And since it seems like the poster can not do the work himself, it will be quite costly to repair.

My question is how much do you trust the mechanic you brought it to? If it is someone you haven't used before I would bring it somewhere else and get a second opinion.

And yes Crispin, those are the tools I was referring to as being special, as your average Joe that just has a set of screw drivers and sockets to fix things around the house will not have lol.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:59 AM

Thanks guys. The car used to only sound bad when making turns. Now it constantly has a grinding sound coming from the front wheels when I'm driving.
Do you really think it would be worth it to get a second opinion from another mechanic? The guy at the shop seemed to be honest with me because he told me it would be a better idea to get another good used car instead of spending the money to fix this one.

Quick Reply: 94 Accord CV Axle repair