Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   1995 Accord LX Sensor identification (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/1995-accord-lx-sensor-identification-21388/)

kris_loehr 10-22-2008 08:10 PM

1995 Accord LX Sensor identification

I broke the sensor on the cylinder head just above the transmission and need to know what it is to order it. I realize it is for the fuel injection but that wasn’t enough for the dealership to identify it to order. It has a two wire connector and is located next to a single wire sensor which looks like an oil sending unit. Both sensors are just below the distributor. I was replacing the heater hose coming off the head when I broke the sensor.

TexasHonda 10-22-2008 08:21 PM

RE: 1995 Accord LX Sensor identification

It is likely thermoswitch B which controls the cooling fans running when keyswitch is off. You can confirm by shorting the sensor connector w/ the keyswitch Off. If fans turn on, you've confirmed thermoswitch B is the broken part. A new switch is ~ $40.

good luck

finch13 10-22-2008 08:40 PM

Did it look like ****** brass nipple with a wire connector on it? It was most likely the coolant temperature sending unit. It's under $20

kris_loehr 10-22-2008 08:48 PM

I think it is the ECT. It is a two wire plastic connector which made the check engine light come on and now the spark plugs are washed out from fuel and will not start. I will verify both answers offered so far.

finch13 10-22-2008 08:52 PM

Not the sending unit like I thought. The sending unit won't throw a CEL, it just makes your coolant gauge non-operational?

PAhonda 10-23-2008 01:44 AM

The sending unit has one wire going to it and only controls the coolant gauge. The engine coolant temperature sensor is a different sensor and sends the coolant temperature to the ECU. It is below the distributor and should have a green/blue wire and a red/white wires going to it.

JimBlake 10-23-2008 07:15 AM

The fan switch B is located in the upper radiator hose nozzle, not in the end of the actualhead. It has 2 wires.

The temperature sender for the ECU (ECT sensor) alsohas 2 wires.

The sender for the temperature gauge has 1 wire.

kris_loehr 10-23-2008 12:39 PM

PAhonda:
It has the green/blue wire and a red/white as you stated so it is the ECT, Excellent. I thank everyone for their help.

I posted awhile back with the coolant leak that appeared to be the head gasket. I didn’t have an adapter for my pressure tester for a Honda, so I had to run it until it leaked and it looked like it leaked right at the gasket. It turns out to be the heater hose next to the sensor. The sensor got broken trying to get the hose clamp released. I found the adapter for the cooling system on Amazon and got it in three business days.