General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

dash light not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Default dash light not working

The dash lighting including that of the speedometer is not working. The fuse was replaced with no effect.

I assume that this being my first posting of a problem that the accord 2000 model and automatic transmission is shown on the signature. I will run a scan on the car when my daughter arrives.

Is there a table listing the scan codes and the cause it represents on this form?

Old 03-26-2011, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Dash lighting fault will not present a OBD2 code.

Following is based on earlier model (94 Accord). Yours could be different. Check autozone repair manual for a circuit diagram for your vehicle to confirm.

Suggest checking the dimmer switch assembly. Remove dimmer switch assembly from dash and disconnect electrical plug from dimmer assembly. There are 3 wires in the connector, Red, Red/Blk, and Blk. Check for ground on Blk wire of connector. Check for 12V w/ headlight switch On at Red/Blk wire. Jumper Red (not red/blk) to Blk (Ground) on connector. Dash lights should come on. If they do you have a faulty dimmer assembly.

good luck

Old 03-29-2011, 04:42 AM
Thumbs down Tech says panel needs replacing

My daughter took the car to a mechanic that said the whole panel needs to be replaced at $700. This sound like bolony to me. I think her best choice is to take it to a certified Honda mechanic at a dealer. She is in High point, nc. Do you have any recommendations?
Thanks for your previous replies.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:53 AM
Question Not the whole panel

Ive never heard of replaceing the whole panel for a faulty dimmer switch. The dimmer switch can be replaced without the pannel unless it was broken in some cold environment. Cold makes plastic very brittle. I run the heater if possible before doing trim work in 62- temps. Im not there so I obviously dont know the facts. just sounds wrong. Good luck. OHD

Old 03-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I agree w/ OHD. Get a 2nd opinion from a Honda shop or independent that specializes in Acura/Honda work.

good luck