General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with electical problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:02 PM
starky34
Unregistered
Default need help with electical problem

I have a 94 accord lx with 79,000 on it and I am currently having an apparent electrical problem. It started about a week ago when I was driving and the car just stalled out while I wasdriving, the car started again and than I drove home. I turned the car off and went to restart awhile later and it cranked but didn't start. So after that I replaced the main relay thinking that may be the problem but it wasn't, car still won't start. Then I thought that it may have been the ignition coil so I replaced that with another one thatI already had, not that either.After that I replaced plugs and checked the wires and that stillwasn't the problem. I than started checking the electric componets, ignition coil gets voltage when the acc is on but the ignitor doesn't get any power at all to any of the four wires, there is where I believe the problem lies but at this point I don't really know what my next step should be. I mean I guess I could replace the entire distributor but I would really like to know from you guys if there is anything else that I should check first before doing that. At this point I am ruleing out the ignition switch from being the problem just because the coil is getting power and the fuel pump is turning on. If it helps anyone the check engine light comes on for the two seconds and than the main relay clicks so all should be good there. The car does have a viper alarm on it, but the remote start is not hooked up so don't really think that that could be the problem, butI guess I could remove it and see what happens. If you guys have any ideas please let me know I have to get the car running asap.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Default RE: need help with electical problem

Have you checked if your ignition coil is putting out power? you know you have power to it but do you have any power going to the distributor?

Old 11-03-2007, 12:14 AM
starky34
Unregistered

I tested the spark plugs the other day and there is no spark I should have said that. So I was figuring that the problem has something to do with either the ecu or there is an open circuit between the ignition coil and the distributor.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

with key on ....( not on acc like you tested it ) . ?? do you have power at the ignitor black/yellow wire ??

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/No_...m_52217/tm.htm

try this test ..

Old 11-03-2007, 01:36 AM
starky34
Unregistered

yes with key on there is no power to the ignitor, any of the four wires. So my guess would be to check for some sort of short between the coil and ignitor. Is there anything else I should look for.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:38 AM

Your ignitor has four terminals, three are side by side and one is around the corner, of the three that are together, the middle one is the blk/yel power wire, the power comes into the distrubutor via the blk/yel wire and goes to the coil + terminal, it then splits off and goes to the ignitor.

Make your own jumper wire from the coil + terminal and slip it into the ignitor middle terminal rubber cover, reassemble and retry, it appears that you have a broke wire or a wire that may only be holding on be a strand not allowing enough amperage to get through.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:51 AM
starky34
Unregistered

So now I have brought the car to two seperate shops, both of which said that they could not fix it. The second shop specializes in electrical work and they said the reason they couldn't fix was that every test they ran checked out and the manual said to replace with a known good part. They said they didn't have any parts for the car at the shop and that they would have to buy the parts to put them in. The shop seems to think that it is the distributor but they are unsure because the only way to test is to replace the part. At this point I am stuck towing the car all the way to the dealer which is a good 20 miles away. I really don't want to because that is going to cost a fortune. My question is do you guys think that it is the distributor, and if so should I just have the shop where the car is located change it out running the risk that it may not be the distributor. Or should I justpay tohave the car towed to thestealer and have them do the work for a much greater amount than the shop would doitfor.Also I replaced the ignitor the other day and still no luck with it starting.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 AM

with ign in the on position chk to see if you have power at both black/yellow at the coil ( you should )

if you got power only on one . you got a bad coil

if no power at either one , you got a wiring issue from ign switch to coil or a bad ignit switch ]

if you got power at both of them and no power at ignitor , you got a wiring issue from coil to ignitor

try and let us know

Old 11-08-2007, 09:27 AM
starky34
Unregistered

power at both of the wires on the coil no power in the ignitor thats why I replaced it thinking it was bad. But there also is no power from the coil to the distributor, so I may just go and pick up another blaster coil today and pop it in and see what happens. I really don't think its the distibutor though because when I was testing the other day I watched the distributor turn while the engine was being cranked. Brand new rotor and cap as well. Shop also said they spend about 2 hours going over connections and wires searching for cracks and loose connections.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:34 AM

Hey DH .... nice tag under your avitar!!!