General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Need some help

hey guys, just picked up a 94 accord lx for $300 dollars for a project car

pretty much in good shape but has some issues, ive worked on civics and integras so im a noob to accords and electrical in general.

first, you have to stick some sort of key into the keyhole by the shifter to get it out of park, checked the brake switch and it is fine so any suggestions?

also, none of the power windows work, none of the guages work (rpm's, odometer, mph, fuel guage, temp) and only the high beams turn on, not low beams.

checked fuses and they are fine, maybe a ground wire came loose? all seems like its one problem causing all of this

any suggestions would help

thanks alot guys

Old 06-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

You can download a 94 shop manual from the spooner link I posted in the Online Manuals thread in the DIY section. It will show all of the grounds in the car that you can clean and tighten. Some are easy to get to, others will be difficult.

Did you check the fuses in both the engine bay fuse box and the one under the driver's dash?

The shifter is part of the interlock system. If you remove the center console, the solenoid should have two wires going to it. The yel wire should have 12V to body ground with the key in the II position. The green wire should have ground when the car is in park.

You will have to find out if the + or - side of the circuit is messed up, then work backwards.

As for the headlights, I would make sure the bulbs aren't burned out. See if you have 12V on one wire (headlight switch turned on), and ground on the black? wire (should have ground all the time). Next would be the input at the relay. Can give you more details.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

yeah i literally just picked up the car an hour ago and its to dark outside to see or do anything.

and the fuses i checked were only on the inside under the dash, to dark to check ones under hood

thanks alot for the advice and help

ill post pictures and details tommorow about the issues.

Last edited by blake; 06-15-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

check every fuse, all seem good

really just worried about getting the guage cluster to work and the windows.

i looked for grounds and can't locate them, does anyone know where they are?

Old 06-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Its under Electrical, Wire Harness and Ground Locations. Page 23-14 in that shop manual I referenced before.

Also look under the gauges for the electrical diagram. Figure out if you are missing voltage or ground. G401, 402, 403, and 404 are all grounds.

As for the windows, temporarily switch the window relay with the radiator fan relay. If your windows work, pick up a new relay.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Its under Electrical, Wire Harness and Ground Locations. Page 23-14 in that shop manual I referenced before.

Also look under the gauges for the electrical diagram. Figure out if you are missing voltage or ground. G401, 402, 403, and 404 are all grounds.

As for the windows, temporarily switch the window relay with the radiator fan relay. If your windows work, pick up a new relay.

switched the relays, windows still wont work

i have pretty much all the interior out, now i gotta track down the grounds

btw i really dont have the money to buy that manual

Old 06-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Its free to download from that site.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

I'm old and can only keep a few things in focus at a time.
Can we start with the interlock switch. I know you wanted the windows and gauges but humor me, one thing may lead to another. I'm assuming the car will start up and it is an auto (insert a key to get into drive) Have you checked the volts at the switch? Do the brake lights work, does the horn work?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

yes brake lights and horn work just fine

i have an update though, messed around with the wiring today, damn near had the whole interior apart and looked over all of the wiring, etc. and put everything back together after i found nothing unusual and now its acting wierd...

put in it reverse, the guage lights come on but the guages still wont work
put it in drive, and the guage lights turn off but all of the guages work except the speedometer

almost sounds like something is wired backwards?

Old 06-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

It is hard to figure out what is going on by just looking at the wiring.

I really think that you need to get a volt meter and do some testing. The 94 shop manual is free from that site and it will help immensely.

These problems could all be related, or possibly not. They could all be different issues. You will have to tackle one at a time.

I would start with the headlights, as they are an absolute necessity to drive the car. See if you have voltage and ground at the low beam socket.

As for the shift interlock, see if you are missing voltage or ground on the pins I mentioned before.

Quick Reply: Need some help