General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2015 Honda Accord Sport - 1st Oil Change

Old 10-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Default 2015 Honda Accord Sport - 1st Oil Change

I have a question about the 1st oil change. On all my prior cars, I always changed the oil after either 500 miles or 1000 miles as recommended by the manufacturer. The dealership is telling me that it is no longer necessary and I should just wait until the on-board computer tells me its necessary? Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Old 10-12-2015, 06:03 PM

Wait until the computer gets to 10%. Could be almost 10,000 miles! I changed oil on my Dodge Neon every 10,000 miles. In the winter I would drop a quart by the time I changed the oil, the summer it was still fairly close to the full mark. I had 217,000 miles on it.

I've never heard a manufacture recommend the first oil change that soon.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Go with the oil life as displayed by the computer.

You will notice it will be a bit shorter than the following ones but I will go with it.

I'm at ~5,600 on a new one and the oil life is at 30%. I'm planning on contacting them soon about scheduling a change....they do it for free.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Lightbulb

For the 1st oil change follow the computer as there is a break in period for the first oil change. Use the computer as a guide only, MANY will argue this, but I am not waiting 8000 miles for an oil change I don't care what the computer tells you. I usually do an oil change at 50% or 4000 with full synthetic royal purple. A good oil change every 3000 to 4000 miles is how I get my Honda's past 160,000 miles. My opinion based on 40plus years of only Honda.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Your 40+ years of experience not withstanding, changing the oil every 8,000 miles with conventional oil will still allow your car to log a quarter of a million miles with no engine issues. Changing sooner is a waste of time, money, and resources.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:53 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by shipo
Your 40+ years of experience not withstanding, changing the oil every 8,000 miles with conventional oil will still allow your car to log a quarter of a million miles with no engine issues. Changing sooner is a waste of time, money, and resources.
Again, opinion put forward as fact. So wrong, Have you ever seen a k engine rebuild , one that has been using regular bottom of the barrel quickie lub oil changes all its life? Compare that to a k motor with full synthetic oil all its life and you will SEE the difference. More deposit, simply more burn. Listen to avoid another argument, YOU ARE RIGHT, use regular oil at 8000 miles if perfectly FINE. In my opinion if you lease, don't keep the car then go cheaper. If you're planning on keeping the car for 10 plus years and making to over 200,000 then is suggest full synthetic all day long, my opinion based on my experience. Thank you, good luck.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Dude, you keep trying to compare apples to turds, can't do that and make a point. I'm an engineer and have worked for three different auto manufacturers and have been involved in numerous oil analysis studies. Any decent conventional oil will keep the engine clean under normal driving conditions for the life of the vehicle. That is proven.

Now, if you want to talk about engines which have been abused with crap oil and 20,000 mile oil changes, then sure, sludge will be everywhere. On this we agree, if one is going to use extended oil change intervals, say anywhere from ten to twenty thousand miles (depending upon the vehicle and driving environment), then Synthetic oil is a must.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by BostonDan
I have a question about the 1st oil change. On all my prior cars, I always changed the oil after either 500 miles or 1000 miles as recommended by the manufacturer. The dealership is telling me that it is no longer necessary and I should just wait until the on-board computer tells me its necessary? Does anyone have thoughts on this?
Depends upon driving conditions, but yes, go with the on-board computer recommendation

Full synthetic will last much longer than old-school oil. It is possible to go as much as 15K miles and up to one year... once again, depends on how and where the car is driven

My Accord is 8 months old, presently has 2,900 miles and the oil is reading 70%

Old 10-17-2015, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Lets agree that this is a highly debated topic and each of us will have our own opinion on the topic. Don't want to start another debate but I think we can agree on the below.

1. CHECK the oil level - yes the dipstick thing - on a regular basis.
2. Use a quality oil that at least meets the spec's of what is called for
3. Change the oil on a regular basis, either when the oil life says to or sooner.

Please - thank you.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:05 PM

Engines are much better today. They have to meet the EPA's emissions requirements right off the assembly line and at 100,000 miles. Tolerances have to be tighter, materials have to be better and oil is much better. Like I said my '95 Neon was still fast, same mpg's after 217,000 miles. I admit I just changed my wive's oil on her new CR-V at 8900 miles at 20%. I don't change oil when it's 20 below.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Honda Accord Sport - 1st Oil Change