General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Gear position switch adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 08:15 AM
Default Gear position switch adjustment?

1998 Honda Accord LX, auto tran, 4 cyl - 180,000 miles.

Long story short, had transmission rebuilt and had to take it back several times for one issue or another. Now it seems everything is finally OK, except that the D4 light does not come on unless I shift to D3, then back to D4. Also some of the other position lights don't come on unless I jiggle the gear select handle. I really don't want to take it back since I am tired of dealing with them (they were nice, but just tired of going back). I looked at the Chilton Manual and see that there is a "gear position switch adjustment".

Does this ONLY affect the lights on the instrument panel and not the actual selection of the gears? In other words, if I try to adjust this myself and I make it worse, it will only affect the D4, D3, etc..lights and nothing in the transmission?

It seems like a simple adjustment and from the instructions, I may just need to turn the **** about 1-2 degrees clockwise or counter clockwise. Is this correct? What is used to turn this? I am assuming a screwdriver and put it into a slot and turn slightly one way or another, then tighten the screws holding the unit. Go back to the car and shift the gears and check lights. If its worse, then I go back and turn it the other way.

Also where on the transmission is the gear position sensor? Can't tell by the picture in the book... can I get to it from the top or under the car?

any other suggestions?

Old 10-15-2015, 10:01 AM

Needed to add another "problem". It seems that when I shift from Park to "R", the transmission shifts harsh. But if I shift from Park to D, then shift to R, it is OK.

Any ideas what this means?

Old 10-15-2015, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

I think that you would be better off taking the car back to the shop. They deal with this on a day to day basis and should be able to quickly fix the problem.

You will be better off purchasing a shop manual for your accord. You can get a pdf for your car on automanualsource.com for ~$22. It is much better than the Chilton manual.

There is an adjustment for the shift cable. I'd inspect the cable adjustment before attempting an adjustment. I think the gear position switch might control the stiffness of the rear motor mount, but I am not sure.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:07 PM

Sounds like the best idea. I will take it back (sigh). Surely they should be able to get this in just a couple of hours and then its finally all done.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:48 PM

Just talked with the manager. It's no big deal. A quick adjustment of the "MLPS" will take care of it. "30 minutes tops"...

Old 10-16-2015, 03:52 PM

OK... I.m an Idiot. ! What is a "MLPS"?. I got the PS, position switch....
MY problem is ... I put into a new battery, NOW, I start it... But it WONT shift outta Park.!... I che med my Haynes ma nual... Nothing.! Bunch a stuff on 2-pin, or " 12,pin" continuity... Whaa???

Old 10-17-2015, 07:42 AM

MLPS = Manual Lever Postion Switch. It affects the light selection ( P, N, D4, etc..) on the instrument panel. I doubt it is causing your trouble with not being able to shift out of Park. If the MLPS was set wrong, you wouldn't be able to start the car. Does the button on the shift stick push all the way in? If not, try jiggling the handle. It might move is you jiggle it enough. It happened to me once after working on the car.