Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   1998 Accord - Stutters around 40MPH (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/1998-accord-stutters-around-40mph-66218/)

rockhoundrob 10-23-2018 03:41 PM

1998 Accord - Stutters around 40MPH

1998 Accord 4 cyl, auto transmission 230,000 miles

Recently while I am driving the car, it would "stutter" for maybe 3 seconds at about 40mph. It is not harsh or anything.
The best way to describe it is that it shivers like a human does when his body is cold. It still seems to maintain power, but not sure.
One time when it happened I let off the gas- to try figuring out what it was and it stopped when I let off the gas. But this could be a co-incidence that I let off the gas at the same it it was about to stop stuttering anyway ( 3 seconds).
It does not do this when idling or at stop lights. It has never done this while under 30 MPH.

At first I thought it was shimming, but I doubt that it is, and I also doubt it is the transmission.

I almost feel like it could be sparkplugs/disrtibutor cap/ or rotor. But why would it only do this at around 40MPH? If it was the sparkplugs, dist, or rotor, I would expect the problem to occur at various times.

The only thing I can also say it accelerates fine, shift gears fine, and does not hesitate.
Also the stuttering is random. When it happens, it may not happen again, until the next day.

JimBlake 10-24-2018 06:01 AM

Less harsh then misfiring? Get any misfire codes or anything from the check-engine light?

Has it been happening long enough to rule out something funny in 1 batch of gasoline?

rockhoundrob 10-24-2018 08:22 AM

No check engine light. It is less harsh than a misfire, but to me, there is a rhythm.
That's why at first I thought it was a wheel bearing or CV joint, but it was MUCH faster. like 5 times faster than the wheel rotates.

I can't rule out bad gas, since it's been doing that for a week ( just put in new gas yesterday). But I would think it is not, since it accelerates fine.
Again, it ONLY does this around 35-45 MPH and cruising on the road.

rockhoundrob 10-24-2018 12:20 PM

Decided to take the shotgun approach

1) get 4 new tires, they were due anyway
2) alignment- at least they can check CV joint, tie rod ends, and wheel bearings
3) Will check sparkplug wires- pull them out and reconnect

JimBlake 10-24-2018 01:14 PM

Check plug wires in the dark. With the engine cold, open the hood & start the engine. Look for arcing, maybe just a dull blue glow. Anything like that indicates the insulation on the plug wires is deteriorating. A fine spray of water from a windex bottle helps make it more visible.

Does the stuttering happen with moisture? Either driving through a puddle or anything like that?

rockhoundrob 10-29-2018 03:30 PM

Well - it's been 5 days and so far so good. I am likely to think it had something to do with the sparkplug wires. I unplugged them and plugged each end back on.
If it acts up again, I plan to put new spark plugs and wires on.