Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   1998 Honda Accord (2-door) engine check light after battery indicator. (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/1998-honda-accord-2-door-engine-check-light-after-battery-indicator-51403/)

scrima99 11-17-2012 12:23 AM

1998 Honda Accord (2-door) engine check light after battery indicator.

Hi fellow accordians,

I have a '98 Honda Accord (2-door). It runs fine, but today, I saw my brake lamp light turn on, together with the door-open indicators for all doors - I thought it was an electrical problem but my brake lights were working fine, also no doors were open. The battery light indicator (red battery icon) was 'on' as well.

I drive it a couple of miles, then when at a Costco parking lot, all the above indicators turn off, meaning it seems everything's back to normal - then here's what happens next: The ABS light turns on, then my "Check-engine" light, followed by my "Oil light", then the engine shuts down.

Here's the kicker, I call the the tow truck, wait for 1.5 hours, then when he comes, I turn the engine, it somehow starts, and all's fine, no dashborad displays, and the car runs.

Question: what could be the problem? The alternator?, the fuel filter? I need the car to be diagnosed, but if someone could give any possible causes, suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks much!

redbull-1 11-17-2012 12:43 AM

Possibly the alternator. Take it to an auto part store; many will test the battery and charging system for free.

Also take a look at the electrical connectors to the battery and alternator.

scrima99 11-17-2012 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1 (Post 302491)
Possibly the alternator. Take it to an auto part store; many will test the battery and charging system for free.

Also take a look at the electrical connectors to the battery and alternator.

Will do, and many thanks. I'll keep you posted.

scrima99 11-17-2012 05:55 AM

Forgot to mention, this is a v6 engine - I read previous posts on v6 honda's idling out referencing the ignition coil -- could it also be an ignition coil problem?

Silver6gen 11-17-2012 06:16 AM

do you live in an area with a large population squirrels or rodents?

scrima99 11-17-2012 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Silver6gen (Post 302497)
do you live in an area with a large population squirrels or rodents?

I do park my park overnight close to a wooded (trees) area, so yes, squirrels, and possible rodents - what can they "chew up" that can cause the symptoms above? Thx for any insight..

poorman212 11-17-2012 09:41 AM

Lets start with testing the battery and alternator. Also clean the cables on the battery and be sure they are tight....I'd also suggest cleaning the gound cable where it connects to the body and the trans/engine.