General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto tranny lockup intermittant - 1993 Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Rayman4449
Unregistered
Default Auto tranny lockup intermittant - 1993 Accord LX

I've been having issues with my 1993 LX (162k) lockup not occuring as it should. I've refreshed the fluid with a drain and fill a few times so it's not that. It seems like it may somehow be related to temperature but I'm not sure. Yesterday I replaced the spark plugs (anda collapsed PCV valve return hose) after getting home from work and afterward on the test drive the lockup engaged perfectly. This morning it was back to not engaging again.

I looked at the tranny level cable and it looks like it's set right. To experiment today, I tried shimming where the ball was to effectively shorten it a bit and it made no difference.

One thing I haven't done is replace the ATF filter/strainer.

Raymond

Old 05-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Default RE: Auto tranny lockup intermittant - 1993 Accord LX

Hey Raymond,

I know this will sound crazy.....Replace your thermostat and install a new Genuine Honda unit.

Also, I recommend going with the Honda Type 2 coolant.

The engine has to be at a specific operating temperature before the ECU will allow the tranny to go into OD.

This should help.
Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Rayman4449
Unregistered

Thanks Ed, I will do that first thing.

I saw another post mentioning this and it has been getting low MPG which would be another indicator. I'll post back how I make out.

Raymond

Old 05-11-2008, 12:04 AM

With poor fuel efficiencey remember that, to my knowledge, allstates are having to use an ethanol blend....We didn't learn our lesson the first time (gasohol in the late 70s and 80s). Anyway,with an ethanol blend of gasoline, there is up to a34% deficienceyin the energyproduced out of a gallon of gas versus non- oxigenatedfuels (those without corn)...I am sure that the "up to 34%" comes into play once temps get above 90 deg.F this summer

The T-stat may also help efficiencey but you may also want to try to go with midgrade gas and make sure you keep your tire pressures at 32PSi cold.

Let me know how the ODshifting works out

Ed Brian
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Rayman4449
Unregistered

Thanks again. When I first got the car I was getting ~27mpg but with advancing the timing a bit and going with 92 octane and a K&N filter I bumped that avg to 30, but now it's down way low. My 97 Saturn is notorious for running cold (their thermostats and design SUCKs[:'(] ) and getting low mpg so it wouldn't surprise me that the thermostat could be the cause here!

Raymond

Old 05-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Rayman4449
Unregistered

First, Ed, thanks for your replies and help.

Ok, here's what seems to have fixed me up. I found that by twisting this connector (when the engine was warmed up) that it caused my idle speed to drop from around 1100 rpms to around 650-750. A nice smooth idle. I cleaned the inside of the connector with carb cleaner and reconnected, working the connector on some with a twisting motion.

Did a test drive and the lockupseems toengage all the time as it should with no intermittantlock andunlockasit was doing before.

I did also replace the thermostat but while it didn't clear up the problem, it needed to be done.

Thanks and hope this helps someone in the future.

Raymond

Old 05-14-2008, 08:09 PM

Glad it worked out for you and it makes perfect sense because that connector and sensor is for engine temp reference for the ECU.

Good job and thanks for the pics

Ed Brian
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Is that right? That photo looks like the 1-wire connector for the temperature gauge sender. The temperaturesensor for the ECU has 2 wires & it's further back, isn't it?

That green one in front is one of the fan switches, but the ECU temperature sensor has a similar-looking plug with 2 wires.

Maybe I'm confused with different years...

Old 05-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Rayman4449
Unregistered

Well, I will say that I'm REALLY confused, but according to the book Jake is right. I don't understand how the guage could have read correctly with a bad connection but... I mean I drove the car today and it's running perfect and there is no mistake that was the final connector of the four that I grabbed a hold of that made the difference in the idle. I'm open to it possibly being something else, but I really don't think so.

The front green connector is the ECT switch (Air Conditioning Fan timer system), the one to the left of the single wire gauge sensor is the ECT and the sensor at the thermostat is the ECT switch (Radiator Fan)

Raymond