General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pls help, locating EGR valve and passage

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 01:54 AM
Default pls help, locating EGR valve and passage

hi, could you please help me locate egr system on my engine (F20b non vtec)
i would like to clean the system hoping my fuel consumption will get better. i used to get 530-550 kms on my 50 liters of gas, but now it drop to 440-460 (60% hway 40 city driving) done the regular maintenance such as plugs, oil change, air filter, dis cap and rotor, and pcv. no CEL so far, everything seems normal. thanks for any help you can give.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

EGR is a round (75-90mm diameter) device mounted on the intake manifold. Two 12mm socket size nuts retain the EGR.

Do you have a Check Engine Light and codes set? If yes, you need to get the codes. In US auto parts stores will do this service for free. This will allow better guidance on fuel consumption.

If no check engine light, EGR is unlikely the problem. Suggest checking carefully for fuel leaks; fuel injector/fuel rail connections, fuel pressure regulator on end of fuel rail (pull vacuum line and sniff for gas), and fuel lines (corrosion can lead to leaks).

good luck

Old 12-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Based on an international Honda parts site, the EGR valve and EGR port(s) for your Asia 1999 Accord F20b looks to be identical to the the U.S 1999 Accord F23.

This image is for an Asia 1999 Accord from an international Honda parts site, which looks the same as the intake manifold on the U.S. Accord F23.

Therefore, these links will show you how blocked EGR passages look on the intake manifold.

EGR p0401 code, but I'm a 4 cylinder - Drive Accord Honda Forums

Honda-Tech - View Single Post - DIY Fix for all that had the P0401 code

Last edited by redbull-1; 12-27-2012 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-27-2012, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the reply Texas and redbull

Texas: there is no CEL nor code stored, no visible corrosion/leaks on fuel line from the tank to fuel injectors, upon checking this while my car lifted i noticed that i only have one o2 sensor and its located near the CAT, no sensor on the headers, how can i test if this is working or not?

Redbull: seems like i have a different engine (see pic attached.) would you please advise where is the egr on this type of engine?

Attached Thumbnails pls help, locating EGR valve and passage-img00079-20121227-1528.jpg  
Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

It should be the similar engine. See this site:

Honda Car Parts / Choose by Model / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda

You can even enter your VIN to verify.

It looks like on your car, where the EGR valve should be, it has a cover plate over that part of the intake manifold. So, it looks like your car doesn't has an EGR valve.

Attached Thumbnails pls help, locating EGR valve and passage-egr-valve.jpg   pls help, locating EGR valve and passage-location.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 12-27-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:02 AM

so the egr is inside that plate?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

no, the valve is missing in action. was removed at some point and plate installed to cover passages. should be a connector somewhere near that plate, unless of course somebody hacked that off as well.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

This is interesting. #13 in Redbull's pic looks to be a factory EGR block-off plate. OP: In what country was the car originally sold?
...i noticed that i only have one o2 sensor and its located near the CAT
If you're absolutely positive that there's not another O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold, then the one near the cat must be the primary O2 sensor. How many kilometers on the odometer? Do you know if the O2 sensor has ever been changed?

Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Roader
This is interesting. #13 in Redbull's pic looks to be a factory EGR block-off plate. OP: In what country was the car originally sold?If you're absolutely positive that there's not another O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold, then the one near the cat must be the primary O2 sensor. How many kilometers on the odometer? Do you know if the O2 sensor has ever been changed?
good point, his sig says he's in Asia somewhere, car probably never came with one, hence the single O2 sensor for fuel control only.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
good point, his sig says he's in Asia somewhere, car probably never came with one, hence the single O2 sensor for fuel control only.
Agreed. That was also my conclusion. The circumstantial evidence points to that.

Part #13 in the parts diagram I initially posted would be the block-off plate we see on his car.

Edit: Upon further thinking about it and looking at the parts site, there is the possibility someone removed it and purchased and installed the Honda block-off plate. But, then we come back to your post #7 regarding the connector, where it may have been hacked off.

Last edited by redbull-1; 12-27-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Quick Reply: pls help, locating EGR valve and passage