Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   2000 Accord EX power door locks crazy (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/2000-accord-ex-power-door-locks-crazy-66399/)

Sea 12-30-2018 02:29 PM

2000 Accord EX power door locks crazy

Hi, I'm new here - been looking around for info and decided I'd post my particular woes and maybe someone could suggest a course of action I could take to debug this issue.
Trying to avoid taking all doors apart as I'm not in a garage.
2000 Honda Accord EX 4 Cyl 2.3L ~110,000 miles
Intermittent issue now getting worse.

Passenger side door started acting up and occasionally not locking or unlocking
with the key fob. Now the fob only opens the drivers side ft and back.

Drv's side Inside door lock won't open front pass. door but did everything else.
now it doesn't work on both ft or back pass. doors.

Passenger Inside door lock was working on all but rear passenger
but now it doesn't work on both ft or back pass. doors.

using the key in the door
from drivers side: only drivers side doors unlock (first dr, then back)
from Passenger side:All locks but rear passenger opened
All locks but rear passenger locked

Seems to be hard to diagnosis since the behavior seems to change.
If the back seat locks are up they may close once but then don't want to unlock.
You can sometimes see the manual lock move - but not enough to unlock and you can hear the actuators (most of the time)
Looked at fuses passenger side, took out, cleaned contacts reinserted no changes
interior lights are working, windows are working.
Without taking the doors off I tried wiggling around the wire connectors at each door seeing if one was shorted
I tried the intermittent wiper reset I think but only saw it mentioned in a post so not 100% I'm doing it right (with some change but it did not last)
If I take a long road trip the fob seems to work once to lock passenger ft door lock..

Is there something else I can easily check?
I sure appreciate any guidance to determine if this is just a actuator or something else. I don't want to just be replacing parts.
I've got a multimeter and a few screwdrivers but not sure where to go from here.
Thanks in advance for any help!

PAhonda 12-30-2018 03:47 PM

You will probably have to pull off the rear passenger door panel to test. It is not a bad job to remove the panel. There should be a 2-pin connector that has a red/white and a light green/red wire that you can unplug. I'd connect a 12V test light across the pins. Make sure you have all the other electrical connectors connected. Try to lock/unlock the doors and see if the light turns on using different methods. If the light bulb flashes, then you pretty much verified the actuator is bad.

Do the same for the front passenger door.

There was a DIY fix on the actuators for the 94-97 accords. Not sure if the actuators can be opened on the 98-02 accords to try this fix. Search the web to see if this is possible on your car.

Sea 12-30-2018 07:29 PM

Thank you for the info. I'm not at home at the moment (holidays) so I won't be able to try that yet.
So strange and frustrating. I went for about a `15 min drive and when I got back, the fob locked all doors.
Go figure!
Almost seems like a bad ground connection or is there some capacitance in a relay that gets charged up while driving?
My battery is fairly new but doing all those tests without operating the car isn't really normal usage. The car is used mostly short trips around town.
I'll be driving home for about 2 hours on the 1st - we'll see what happens.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again and Happy New Year!

PAhonda 12-30-2018 10:15 PM

The power/ground signal comes from the multiplex control unit (MICU) on the passenger side of the car. Looking at the diagram, the MICU sends power and ground to all the door locks through the same 2 wires.

The light bulb test will determine if the problem is on the electrical side, or the actuator side of the circuit.