Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   2000 accord transmission issue (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/2000-accord-transmission-issue-63434/)

biker9 06-08-2016 09:57 PM

2000 accord transmission issue

My daughter has a 2000 accord (170k)that has the following symptoms:
1. hard shift into second gear and sometimes will do what feels like a double shift into second gear.
2. when shifting into drive or when shifting into 1st (like at a stop sign) it will sometimes shift hard into 1st gear.

Shifts into 3rd and 4th are always fine and there is no slippage at all. Are there any things I should check (solenoids?) before assuming the transmission is on it's way out? If it is on the way out is failure imminent, or does it have a few weeks or months before it dies?

PAhonda 06-09-2016 12:12 AM

Stop by a parts store and have them scan for codes. Post the codes on here. They start with the letter P and have four numbers, like P1234.

Cleaning the shift solenoids is a good idea and may be a simple fix.

You'll get different opinions about changing the fluid on a marginal transmission. Do you know when the transmission fluid was last changed?

rockhoundrob 06-09-2016 08:57 AM

What about checking the transmission fluid level?

biker9 06-09-2016 07:22 PM

Thanks for the responses. I will get codes checked and report back.

biker9 06-12-2016 10:23 AM

Fluid level ok, no codes. I have solenoids from a 92 accord, would those swap in for a test?

PAhonda 06-12-2016 11:09 AM

I highly doubt the 92 solenoids will fit on a 2000 transmission.

biker9 06-12-2016 12:57 PM

Figured that was a long shot, I will try cleaning the current ones. Oh, fluid was changed at 100k.

Rilex 06-17-2016 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by biker9 (Post 369443)
My daughter has a 2000 accord (170k)that has the following symptoms:
1. hard shift into second gear and sometimes will do what feels like a double shift into second gear.
2. when shifting into drive or when shifting into 1st (like at a stop sign) it will sometimes shift hard into 1st gear.

Shifts into 3rd and 4th are always fine and there is no slippage at all. Are there any things I should check (solenoids?) before assuming the transmission is on it's way out? If it is on the way out is failure imminent, or does it have a few weeks or months before it dies?

i had a similar problem with my honda accord 1998, it use to shift hard from 1 to 2 when accelerating and back again from 2 to 1 when decelerating on coming to a stop. But from 2 to 3 and 4 gears it runs and shift fine with no jerking or hard shift. I did a scan it shows P0700(transmission control system malfunction). When the mechanic checked in detail we discover one of the soloniods marked A3 or so if i can still remember was bad. we just replaced it with a new one and the shift was smooth from 1 to 2. i want to tell you that the transmission is not failing at all, is just the selonoids that need replacements. Mine occurs 3 years ago and i am still using the car now with no transmission problem. The ATF might still be ok