Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   2001 Honda Accord V6 Oil Leak at Pan Drain Bolt (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/2001-honda-accord-v6-oil-leak-pan-drain-bolt-64032/)

drfence 11-14-2016 12:53 PM

2001 Honda Accord V6 Oil Leak at Pan Drain Bolt

I have a 2001 Honda Accod V6 that is leaking from the oil pan drain bolt. When the bolt is replaced, it is hard to turn without a wrench. However when it gets to the end of the bolt, it doesn't tighten and in fact gets more loose.

It is leaking a small pool of oil, perhaps 5" in diameter on a cloth/carpet area over about a 12 hour period.

I have changed my oil before and it didn't leak this bad at all. I haven't had time to mess with it this morning because I had to head to work. I did check the oil and it didn't seem to be a significant drop.

This car has 150k miles and I would like a "simple" fix. Perhaps a new bolt or other method that could seal it properly without more drastic measures?

shipo 11-14-2016 01:03 PM

When you changed the oil did you use a new crush washer? If not then that is most likely the reason for your leak.

drfence 11-14-2016 01:15 PM

I did not. Does this explain why the bolt gets loose and won't tighten at the end?

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 372507)
When you changed the oil did you use a new crush washer? If not then that is most likely the reason for your leak.

rockhoundrob 11-14-2016 01:43 PM

Yes, You're supposed to get a new washer every time. ( I have to admit I only change it once every 2-3 oil change...) you can get them at any auto store...

shipo 11-14-2016 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by drfence (Post 372508)
I did not. Does this explain why the bolt gets loose and won't tighten at the end?

Yup.

FWIW, I cheat; I use an oil extractor and suck my used oil out from the dipstick; I haven't pulled an oil pan drain plug since 1999. :)

poorman212 11-14-2016 06:28 PM

The newer alum pans are more prone for thread damage. Yes, as others have stated , replace the washer every few changes.

Try a new one.......or two :eek:, I said that. Yes if one new one and you still have a leak, add a second and know the pan threads are on their last leg.

There are several choices you can down IF and when the threads in the pan finally give out,

dgp1961 11-22-2016 05:57 AM

Did you ever get the leak fixed? If the bolt isn't engaging correctly you've most likely stripped it and the washer isn't the culprit. However at about a buck each you should replace the washer every change. If stripped and you want a "cheap" fix I believe Fram used to make direct replacements which you screw into the oil pan and then their replacement has a bolt/drain feature so the plug stays in place and you have a drain built in. If your stripped and even that doesn't go in right you can permanently install it with a thread bond or something like that (perhaps JB Weld..)

TexasHonda 11-22-2016 10:14 AM

Oversize plugs that self-tap into existing threads is another option. It changes seal to a soft gasket material to reduce torque for sealing.

It is also possible to install a timesert or heli-coil thread insert, but better left to professional w/ experience.

good luck