Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   2002 Accord Tranny (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/2002-accord-tranny-61884/)

dtillman15 07-01-2015 09:49 AM

2002 Accord Tranny

I have a 2002 Accord Ex V6 3.0 Coupe. I need to know if I can take a transmission out of that and put it into a 2000 V6 coupe and not have any problems. Thanks guys.

TexasHonda 07-01-2015 10:07 AM

A quick check of car-part.com indicates no differentiation of parts crossover by body (4dr or coupe), only by year. I found nothing in a quick look at shop manual to suggest coupe is different.

You can find a used trans by using car-part.com and your zip code to find a local salvage yard w/ a trans.

This generation AT's were somewhat more problematic than other gens.

good luck

dtillman15 07-01-2015 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda (Post 361281)
A quick check of car-part.com indicates no differentiation of parts crossover by body (4dr or coupe), only by year. I found nothing in a quick look at shop manual to suggest coupe is different.

You can find a used trans by using car-part.com and your zip code to find a local salvage yard w/ a trans.

This generation AT's were somewhat more problematic than other gens.

good luck

Okay so I should be fine to just swap transmissions? Thanks. I appreciate the help.

shipo 07-01-2015 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by dtillman15 (Post 361282)
Okay so I should be fine to just swap transmissions? Thanks. I appreciate the help.

That's not exactly what he was suggesting; you should confirm there is a good interchange between the 2000 and the 2002 model years. That chances are very good, but by no means certain, the interchange will work.

Edit:
Given how potentially problematic transmissions are for the Gen 6 V6 cars, there is no way I would buy a used transmission with an unknown pedigree; better by far to spend a few extra dollars for a remanufactured transmission with all of the latest upgrades.

Turtlehead 07-01-2015 11:30 AM

The best way to verify a transmission swap is to confirm the VIN part number search for both vehicles. BUT, I have done dozens of transmissions on your generation with the V6 and have not seen any difference. You can even look at pulling one out of an Acura. The only thing that you need to be sure of is the mounting bracket, but the bell housing should bolt in fine, SO make sure the mounting bracket to the sub-frame is correct... You should not have any issues with the above being said.

dtillman15 07-01-2015 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Turtlehead (Post 361284)
The best way to verify a transmission swap is to confirm the VIN part number search for both vehicles. BUT, I have done dozens of transmissions on your generation with the V6 and have not seen any difference. You can even look at pulling one out of an Acura. The only thing that you need to be sure of is the mounting bracket, but the bell housing should bolt in fine, SO make sure the mounting bracket to the sub-frame is correct... You should not have any issues with the above being said.

My car is essentially totaled. It's the 02. His is a 2000. We are both V6 vtec 3.0. But you're saying that with that situation, I shouldn't have any problems?

shipo 07-01-2015 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Turtlehead (Post 361284)
You can even look at pulling one out of an Acura.

Which Acuras? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding the contemporary Acuras (the TL and the CL) to the Gen 6 Accords all had 5-Speed automatics. Are you suggesting the Acura 5-Speed automatic will bolt into a Gen 6 V6 Accord?