General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Light Always On

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Brake Light Always On

I recently bought an 03 Accord 2.4L EX and it's a great little car. I'm trying to work through a couple of issues. This is the next issue I'm tackling...

For the 4 weeks I've had the vehicle the brakes have been making squeeking noises like the pads have worn down to the "noise maker" or the part on the pad that warns you that the brakes need to be replaced. I tried sticking a hose in there and cleaning the dust off them but that didn't seem to help so I guess I'll just replace all 4. A visual inspection of the outer pads looks like everything is fine. I also notice that I get a pulsing in the brakes while they are depressed.

I had to replace the clutch master cylinder yesterday and noticed that the previous owner had disconnected the connector to the master cylinder so I plugged it back in not thinking anything of it and now the brake light is always on.

I've read a couple of post on here about possible issues and this is what I understand the problem could be...I'm just trying to figure out if anything else could be a problem.

Thanks for the responses

Old 10-31-2012, 11:46 AM
            Newest Of Newbies

Here's another question while I'm here. The brake light always on is only an indicator for the fluid level in the master cylinder. Is this a correct statement? I mean the indicator does not tell you the pads are bad or anything other than the fluid level.

If this is a correct statement the I guess I'll try this to fix the float stuck in the master cylinder issue...

Click the PDF on this page "Brake Light.pdf"

Old 10-31-2012, 11:51 AM
            Super Moderator

Sounds like the brake fluid level sensor is bad, you've checked the fluid and it is fine. Do you have a volt meter? Or the float could be stuck in the down position.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:55 AM
            Super Moderator

You posted as I was typing.......there are other reasons that light comes on, but the fact it came on after plugging it in.......

Attached Thumbnails Brake Light Always On-7gen-gen-brake-master-level-switch.jpg  
            Old 10-31-2012, 12:04 PM
            Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the post poorman212. I appreciate all your assistance.

Do you have any thoughts on the pulsing in the brakes when I press on them? I guess that is the issue that has got me concerned. Will worn rotors with bad pads cause this pulsing?

PS with the connector disconnected at the master cylinder, the brake light works fine. It's on when the brake lever is up, off when it's down so I'm pretty sure it's not the actual brake lever itself.

Last edited by bucknaz; 10-31-2012 at 12:24 PM.
            Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 PM
            Super Moderator

Yes. Usually the "pulse" in the pedal - sometimes felt in the steer wheel, side to side - is from the rotors warping.

Does need to be addressed but don't stress over it too much.

I didn't post about that as you had already said you were going to replace the pads and turn the rotors - as long as this can be done and they are still within spec.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:30 PM
            Super Moderator

ohh,,,,,one more. When doing the pads, be sure to lube the slide pins on the caliper(s).

Old 10-31-2012, 12:47 PM
            Newest Of Newbies

I will definitely lube the slide pins. thank you

Old 10-31-2012, 03:51 PM
            Super Moderator

x2 on resurfacing the rotors to get rid of the pulsing. The shop doing the resurfacing is supposed to measure thickness & they won't do it if it's already too thin. Figure out where you can get new rotors in case you need them.

Look for a post of mine in DIY, about bedding-in the resurfaced (or new) rotors.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 PM
            Newest Of Newbies

I installed new pads and new rotors on the front and even flushed the brake fluid. I drove it for a bit and although the pulsating is not as bad, its still there. I will do the pads and rotors on the back and that should fix the pulsating.

I also still have my brake light on. I did try wrapping on the master cylinder to see if I can loosen up the float but no dice.

Quick Reply: Brake Light Always On