General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 ex what's going on under the dash and with my dash

Old 07-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Default 94 ex what's going on under the dash and with my dash

Like it blows my mind at what some people do. What is the point of this
I domt understand why so many red wores that go to dead ends not even conected to anything
This small yellow wire is coming off of a wire thats not even yellow so i dont know if this is the yellow wire that runs to gauges the forums were talking about or if its just a random yellow wire someone spliced onto another wire
This wire comes out of that black plastic tubing on top of steering and was shoved down the side beside the red wires but wasnt connected to anything
This is what it looked like before i started cutting off electrical tape

This yellow wire and the tan one arent even connected under the tape they are just cut

This blue and black wire is spliced into that wire in the back but the black and vlue wire does not connect to anything else its just cut and hanging
All these big wires are wrapoed in tape under the tape someone cut off alot of the wire to bare wire

Random cut wires that i see nowhere they could have hooked to

Old 07-11-2018, 08:24 PM
Default My 6 page long details of whats going on disappeared when I posted I guess

1994 honda accord ex 5 speed runs perfect. Dash gauge lights never worked. Gauges worked for few weeks when i bought car then Speedo started jumping around and spazzing out and would work then stoo periodically till it finally quit working period. All other gauges soon after quit working. Sea battery and something else lights up when i turn key forward but thats all. The heater lights and **** lights stayed working kind of. They would dim and flicker on and off at times and smacking dash would cause the to flicker also till they finally went out also. I have researched for months and read hundreds of forums. I have checked EVERY SINGLE fuse in car all are good. Took out gauge cluster checked for loose wires etc put it back in still nothing. Changed vehicle speed sensor still nothing. I read last night on foruns about some yellow wore under dash that supposedly runs to gauge cluster and T's off somewhere so that got me today to take lower dash apart and look for that wire and thats when I found all of this stuff. I wouldn't think it would be a cut wire causing this because the gauges DID work for a while after I got car. I'm to the point of pulling my hair out with this. 8 months i have drove with no gauges no gas gauge no Speedo. I'm tired of running out of gas and having to use my pgone for Speedo lol. Oh also the odometer doesn't work either but not sure if it evwr worked when I first got car. My Windows sunroof head lightz turn signals brake lights everything works as it should. I also forgot my clock does not work either not sure if it ever did either lol. Someone please help me what are all these wires where do they need to go what do they hook back up to could these wires have actually slowly causes everything to quit working? Where do I begin what do i look up how do i find what to do with all these cut wires

Old 07-11-2018, 08:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Your best bet is to go to a junk yard and take notes and plenty pictures. You can find the wire layout online but I think it would be faster to find one in the junk yard

Old 07-11-2018, 09:10 PM

I did think about that as an option but the closest junk yard/ pull a part is an hour and a half away from me lol. I was gonna just get a whole new gauge cluster but dont wanna drive that far for just hopes of them having an accord with everything I need still intact and they couldnt tell me over phone anything about the cars either.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Pretty much most of those cut wires going nowhere are not OE, just remnants of wiring for some other aftermarket accessories or possibly partial re-routing due to issues.

Most of the rat's nest of non-OE wiring were at the ignition switch harness. It was hacked into. The one end of the harness connects at the ignition switch and the opposite end connects at the under-dash fuse box.

Honda OE wiring generally are not solid color through the whole length. They usually have a stripe running along them, or dots.

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-11-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:47 PM

Those where my thoughts exactly. I would get rid of all the aftermarket wiring to see what I'm dealing with. It looks like you should only have a few to deal with

Old 07-11-2018, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

This is a photo of a replacement ignition switch with the harness for comparative purposes.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:25 PM

Thank you so much for the info and replies and help. Tomorrow I will try to dispose of some of the extra wires and get it all taped back up. So do you not think that any of these wires or wiring is related to my gauges and lights?

Old 07-12-2018, 12:35 PM

If I didn't know any better, I'd have thought someone had a car alarm installed, then had it removed.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:25 PM

Ok so in the very last pic the 2 wires that are sticking out look like factory wires not aftermarket ones. Should I be concerned or do anything with those 2 wires?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 ex what's going on under the dash and with my dash