Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   2004 Honda Accord Instrument Cluster Lights (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/2004-honda-accord-instrument-cluster-lights-37777/)

davenwa 01-28-2011 10:22 AM

2004 Honda Accord Instrument Cluster Lights

Hello All,

I would like to change the instrument cluster lights in my '04 Accord EX to red.

I had the cluster removed (pretty easy), then removed the back cover, but all that's there is the circuit board with no access to the bulbs themselves.

When I try to remove the circuit board, the gauge needles prevent me from being able to...looks like the needles need to be removed.

I don't want to break anything! I've googled and googled and googled, looking for a diagram, instructions, anything, with no luck.

Does someone out there know how to disassemble the cluster to get to the bulbs?

Thanks,
Dave

aTYpicalTYrant 02-12-2011 08:19 PM

Did any1 ever get back to you at all? If so please share the info because I'm trying to find out the same thing.

WheelBrokerAng 02-12-2011 08:29 PM

I shall move this post to the correct forum for you 2...so that it may better get answered...

WheelBrokerAng :)

aTYpicalTYrant 02-12-2011 08:30 PM

Thanks alot. I'm still very brand new to the forums.

WheelBrokerAng 02-12-2011 08:43 PM

Check this out I found for you...

The bulb is replaced from the back side of the gauge cluster. Don't know of any place on the internet to refer you for detailed information but the gauge assembly is very easy to get out. Just remove the two screws from the black trim panel around the gauge. Pull the trim panel out--two clips on the bottom corners and the two screws on the top. Remove the 4 screws that hold the gauge assembly in the dash and carefully pull out the assembly. You will need to unplug the 3 plugs from the top of the assembly. Just replace the odometer light bulb located on the bottom directly behind the odometer area.

WheelBrokerAng :)

Nivekfreeze 09-12-2017 07:53 AM

Hey, what kind of bulb is on the back side? Is it a soldered on LED? Or is it a 194 or something similar?

highstepper 03-03-2019 11:29 PM

Hi, trying to pull my cluster out as well. I searched threads and this was the closest I found. Removed two top screws but bottom will not come out. Videos online make it look easy. Used a flat screwdriver and another flat tool but it will NOT come out. It is an EXL V6 2002. Does the leather make it harder to get out? Solution? You mention clips above. Is there a special way to pop them loose?

The Toecutter 03-06-2019 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by highstepper (Post 384372)
Hi, trying to pull my cluster out as well. I searched threads and this was the closest I found. Removed two top screws but bottom will not come out. Videos online make it look easy. Used a flat screwdriver and another flat tool but it will NOT come out. It is an EXL V6 2002. Does the leather make it harder to get out? Solution? You mention clips above. Is there a special way to pop them loose?

The 2002 is the same as the 98 thru 2002 models. You remove 2 screws, then move the steering column down, then pull down on the plastic to release the clips, the pull out to release the lower clips. Next There are 4 screws that hold the entire cluster in place, so remove them. Then pull the entire cluster out enough to lay it down, and unplug the connectors (I think there's 3), then you can remove the entire cluster from the car. The bulbs are some sort of mini 194 (there's an actual name for them though), that come with a plastic twist and pull/push holder on them. Quite a few people swap LED's into the holder, but I don't know the number for the led right off hand.
You might try the audio visual section for bulb numbers, as I believe there are some listed in a thread in there. Myself, I just went to the dealer for mine, as I wanted the clock and odo lights to work at night.