General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

honda accord sixth gen- couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 08:45 AM
Default honda accord sixth gen- couple of questions

hello
1) i bought a salvage car for spares and wanted to test the auto tranny, so i jacked it up and removed the wheels, and revved the engine, but it wouldn't shift up from 1st.
also when i put it in N the rotors were still turning.
is this test reliable? maybe it's normal because there wasn't any load on the tranny?

2) what's the purpose of the funny curly part under the air intake hose? my car doesn't have it, the salvage car does, and i need it's hose.

3) i'd like to install an oil cooler for the tranny, so which hose is the return line from the radiator?

thanks.

Attached Thumbnails honda accord sixth gen- couple of questions-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 04-11-2018, 03:24 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Eran Teitelbaum
hello
1) i bought a salvage car for spares and wanted to test the auto tranny, so i jacked it up and removed the wheels, and revved the engine, but it wouldn't shift up from 1st.
also when i put it in N the rotors were still turning.
is this test reliable? maybe it's normal because there wasn't any load on the tranny?

2) what's the purpose of the funny curly part under the air intake hose? my car doesn't have it, the salvage car does, and i need it's hose.

3) i'd like to install an oil cooler for the tranny, so which hose is the return line from the radiator?

thanks.
I don't know if that's a good test for the trans. I'd think it would need some sort of load on it.

The "funny curly" part is an air baffle to help silence the incoming air to the engine. You can leave it on. It won't hurt anything being in place. You might have to figure out the best way for it to sit.

I believe it's the center line that is the return. Are you going from out of the rad to the cooler, then back to the trans line? That'll work just fine.
I'd also add an external filter in that line as well so you can filter out the trash in the fluid. Keep in mind that anything you do to help cool the fluid, and keep it clean will help these transmissions (key to long life).

Old 04-11-2018, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
I believe it's the center line that is the return. Are you going from out of the rad to the cooler, then back to the trans line? That'll work just fine.
I'd also add an external filter in that line as well so you can filter out the trash in the fluid. Keep in mind that anything you do to help cool the fluid, and keep it clean will help these transmissions (key to long life).
yes, from the radiator to the cooler and back to the tranny.
the center line- you mean the one closest to the engine?

Old 04-12-2018, 01:29 PM

yes, from the radiator to the cooler and back to the tranny.
the center line- you mean the one closest to the engine?
If you look at the bottom of the radiator, the one on the left side (drivers side of the car) is more centered and the line you want.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
If you look at the bottom of the radiator, the one on the left side (drivers side of the car) is more centered and the line you want.
well, mine is probably different. there's a line under each fan, no one of them is more centered than the other.
one line goes from under the cooling fan and connects to the tranny more or less under the starter motor, the other one goes from under the a/c fan and connects to the tranny under the thermostat.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:57 PM

well, mine is probably different. there's a line under each fan, no one of them is more centered than the other.
one line goes from under the cooling fan and connects to the tranny more or less under the starter motor, the other one goes from under the a/c fan and connects to the tranny under the thermostat.
Well, it's the line closest to the left (drivers side) of the car.