Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   2006 2.4 L, hit curb, uneven tire wear on both sides of tire (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/2006-2-4-l-hit-curb-uneven-tire-wear-both-sides-tire-66608/)

deisman228 04-01-2019 12:18 PM

2006 2.4 L, hit curb, uneven tire wear on both sides of tire

Slid on snow and hit a curb in parking lot entrance (low speed but hit with a BAM). Now front left tire wears bad on inside and outside. Drives straight without vibration steering wheel shake or excessive pulling. Makes a low thrumming noise, not quite the gravelly grinding you can feel with a bad bearing or hub. I pulled the wheel assembly off and the bearing turns even and smooth. I wanted to replace the hub & bearing before an alignment to eliminate that as an issue. Now I am thinking could it be a lower ball joint, bent lower control arm or tie rod end. Any suggestions before I start pounding out the bearing and hub? The seals on all the bushings are good. I don’t have an air hammer to get out or in a ball joint.

The Toecutter 04-01-2019 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by deisman228 (Post 384704)
Slid on snow and hit a curb in parking lot entrance (low speed but hit with a BAM). Now front left tire wears bad on inside and outside. Drives straight without vibration steering wheel shake or excessive pulling. Makes a low thrumming noise, not quite the gravelly grinding you can feel with a bad bearing or hub. I pulled the wheel assembly off and the bearing turns even and smooth. I wanted to replace the hub & bearing before an alignment to eliminate that as an issue. Now I am thinking could it be a lower ball joint, bent lower control arm or tie rod end. Any suggestions before I start pounding out the bearing and hub? The seals on all the bushings are good. I don’t have an air hammer to get out or in a ball joint.

Since it's wearing both edges of the tire, my 1st thought is low tire pressure. A bent tie rod could also cause this, however you're not noticing any pull. A quick way to check the toe in would be using a tape measure on both the front and rear sides across both front tires and see how close both measurements are. Toe in should be about 1/16th in, meaning the front numbers will be less than the rear numbers. I'd do that before digging into tearing everything apart. Who knows, you might find a bent tie rod that way. ;)

deisman228 04-03-2019 07:56 PM

So the thrumming sound was my tire wobbling back and forth. The lower ball joint was shot, but the rubber was not broken & that caused wear on the outside edges of the tire. The wheel must still be true as the steering wheel never shook. I got it all apart from the car, but decided to take it to my mechanic so he could press ball joint out and a new one back in. What I learned is to get your car checked right after hitting anything! Not only did I have to drive out the ABS wheel speed sensor ($75 from Honda) that was stuck, now I will need (2) new tires for the front. Thanks for the help.

The Toecutter 04-04-2019 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by deisman228 (Post 384729)
So the thrumming sound was my tire wobbling back and forth. The lower ball joint was shot, but the rubber was not broken & that caused wear on the outside edges of the tire. The wheel must still be true as the steering wheel never shook. I got it all apart from the car, but decided to take it to my mechanic so he could press ball joint out and a new one back in. What I learned is to get your car checked right after hitting anything! Not only did I have to drive out the ABS wheel speed sensor ($75 from Honda) that was stuck, now I will need (2) new tires for the front. Thanks for the help.

I'm glad you found the problem, and are getting it fixed. I keep forgetting how thin the Honda ball joint really is.
On my own Accord, I replaced hub bearings and ball joints, as they had 234K on them, and the hub bearings were loud. The ball joints were originals too, as they didn't have a snap ring on them like the replacements had.