Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   2008 Accord ex i4 dash gauges and lights cycling (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/2008-accord-ex-i4-dash-gauges-lights-cycling-66457/)

gearheadwelder 01-27-2019 10:21 AM

2008 Accord ex i4 dash gauges and lights cycling

Good morning fellow gearheads, just looking to get a confirmation on a problem alternator. The story is that I bought the car with this problem, the owner had the car given to him from a passed family member. He didn't know how to reset the nav and radio codes, or why the key fobs and remote start fob didn't work (dead batteries). The car sat for months and battery went dead, was replaced with the correct, but smaller one. So the car runs find, just that the gauge needles will drop and the typical start lights illuminate and quickly reset with no disruption in the motor or headlights . I have searched for days and it points to the alternator. Here is a video of the dash. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ-8rV8C0sw. Thank you for any help.

poorman212 01-27-2019 11:13 AM

I'd start really simple before going for the alt. Inspect the battery connections and be 100% sure they are clean and tight.

PAhonda 01-27-2019 11:21 AM

To check if voltage is dropping out from the alternator, hook up a volt meter at the engine bay fuse box. Check if you get a drop in voltage when the dash resets. You mentioning the headlights don't flicker would indicate the alternator is working fine, but this is an easy test.

Try shaking the key when the engine is running to see if you get the dash to reset. If it does reset by shaking the key, then the electrical portion of the ignition switch or a faulty connection to the switch is a likely culprit.

The other thing you can do is disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables to make sure they are making good connections. Inspect the battery cables for any corrosion along with wire.

gearheadwelder 01-28-2019 04:07 AM

First off, thank you for your replies. I agree that the alt is working fine, I get 14.36 and no drop when the dash blinks and meter hooked to under hood fuse disruption box.
I do have the third tailight out along with the driver side map light. I think it's in the ignition circuit too. More to follow.
thank you.

gearheadwelder 01-28-2019 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by gearheadwelder (Post 383948)
First off, thank you for your replies. I agree that the alt is working fine, I get 14.36 and no drop when the dash blinks and meter hooked to under hood fuse disruption box.
I do have the third tailight out along with the driver side map light. I think it's in the ignition circuit too. More to follow.
thank you.

Possibly the \ a Body Control Module ?

gearheadwelder 01-29-2019 06:18 AM

Yes, looking into that now. It looks like there is a reset for the gauge cluster, trying that today.
Thank you

gearheadwelder 01-29-2019 08:36 AM

It's 0ver !! My brother and I have been researching and testing for this electrical gremlin for a couple days now. So we disconnected the battery and connected the pos / neg cables together to discharge ( 8 minutes ) all the stored power in the modules and it did the trick.
I bought this Accord with the dash blink, was told by the owner that the car sat for a few months and the battery died. He installed a new ( small size ) battery and the blinking started, so maybe this will help someone. Thank you guys for the help.

The Toecutter 01-29-2019 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by gearheadwelder (Post 383959)
It's 0ver !! My brother and I have been researching and testing for this electrical gremlin for a couple days now. So we disconnected the battery and connected the pos / neg cables together to discharge ( 8 minutes ) all the stored power in the modules and it did the trick.
I bought this Accord with the dash blink, was told by the owner that the car sat for a few months and the battery died. He installed a new ( small size ) battery and the blinking started, so maybe this will help someone. Thank you guys for the help.

I'd heard that some Hondas need that (what you did above) to correct a memory problem.