General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 transmission slippage

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Default 2003 transmission slippage

Good day
I am new to the forum and prior to joining I looked for a long time for a thread that had like symptoms as mine and some close but not the same.
I have a 2003 v6 auto with 140,000 and yesterday after being on the highway driving for 2 hours (70degrees outside) i came to a town to stop for fuel and as i pulled out it went to 3rd gear then the rpms came up as if in nutural the car slowed i let off and rpms came down and the car ran fine for the rest of the trip another 100 miles with many stops along the way. The car rested for 4 hours and I took another 20 mile trip and it did the same two more times. the car rested again for three hours i then drove for one mile and it bucked a little and then repeated the symptom driving another 1/4 mile it did the same but this time did not go back in gear, I pulled to the side and it would not go in ANY gear forward or R the RPMs would come up but no movement high or low RPMs. I put in park and killed the engine it sat for one minute I then started it and all worked fine for one mile back to destination and same thing repeated. at my destination i tried it again no movement in ANY gear I turned the engine and key off and then started it back up right away and it goes ito gear and drives. after that I did not drive it due to fear of complete failure. There are no lights (other than the maint light for oil change due been on for 200 miles) the fluid is good, no lights on shifter and no codes were showing when iI checked with actron obdII. I am the only owner of the car with no problems in the past I know this is a long post but grateful for any help.
DHenry

Old 06-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

you said the fluid is good, does that just mean "full", what was the condition, nice and pink or brownish with a burned smell?

first thing to do would be change the fluid (drain/refill) and then test, if problem still exists you may be looking at replacement of the tranny.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 AM

Thats a good point jeff I did not specify good, fluid is full it is light brown but no burnt smell. I cannot recall when I last changed the tranny oil

Old 06-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

go ahead and change it and report back...i'd even go as far as having the dealer do a flush of the system, they have the correct equipment to do it right, but be upfront with them and tell them the situation.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:48 AM

Changed the filter and it was in good condition also changed the fluid once this weekend with no change in the performance. will change again today after a little more run time, any other suggestions??

Old 06-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

For now, just what the Dr. ordered...

Old 06-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

reread your original post and it sounds like there is a control problem, ie. solenoid or something, but you said no malfunction light on. I would still have the system scanned by the dealer, based on the symptoms, they are too inconsistent with a failed transmission. just an FYI, that scantool you are using won't pull any trans specific codes if they exist, only generic "P" codes from the ECM.