General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 ex questions

Old 11-21-2017, 07:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 94 ex questions

Hello all,
I just got a 94 ex coupe and so far I like it but it has a few problems.
1. speedo is 10 mph fast - stock tires so not sure whats up
2. max engine rpm is 4250 (strange) - vtec solenoid clicks when 12 volts applied, oil full
3. low fuel light doesn't light (I think it might be a bulb) - tested at fuel sender did not light
4. some mornings I hop in and it cranks right up and sometimes it takes a few tries, when at operating temp if you try to start it will just turn over. Not sure if Honda has a flood clear mode. but if I push the gas pedal to the floor it will crank up 95% of the time. - it has a new cap, rotor, wires, plugs, new water temp sensor.
5. it says I had a brake light out but they are all OK - have not checked to see how much resistance the bulbs have.

OK, that is enough for now, please comment on any ideas you may have. and Thanks,
Louis

Old 11-22-2017, 02:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Brake lights

Does anybody know what all is included when it says brake light is out?
My car has the third brake light and it also has the spoiler with a brake light in it, so I was wondering if it looks at the main brake lights.

If anyone knows for sure please let me know.

Thanks,
Louis

Old 11-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Is the light that is on the brake lamp light, or the light that turns on when you pull the emergency brake?

Old 11-22-2017, 06:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Is the light that is on the brake lamp light, or the light that turns on when you pull the emergency brake?
Not the e-brake light, Brake light lamp that tells you a light is out,

Last edited by fosterlou; 11-22-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

There is a sensor bolted to the driver's side tail light. The sensor will switch on that brake lamp light if either of bulbs has low/no current. It doesn't monitor the high-mount brake light on the back window.

It is possible the sensor is bad. It is very easy to replace and you can probably pick one up at junkyard for very cheap. It is a black box that bolts to the rear taillight from inside the trunk and has a wire harness coming out of it to plug into the main harness.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok thanks, I will check pull a part when I go again, do you know if Honda used the same pert on this gen?
I found one from Honda for 28.00 as a last resort.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like the 90-97 accords and the 90-96 preludes used the same part number.

I also just re-read your post. The spoiler is an accessory that is installed. It is possible that the spoiler is wired incorrectly. I think the spoiler should be wired to the high-mount brake light (green/white and black wires). You should check that it is wired to those wire colors.

Your brake lights are still working, so replacing that failure sensor is not critical. The problem could be wiring or the gauge cluster. Unplug the wiring to that failure sensor and see if the brake lamp bulb turns off.

For the low fuel light, you can access the fuel sending unit from an access panel in the back seat. If you ground the light green/red wire, the low fuel light should turn on. Also, that lt grn/red wire should have 12V to ground using your volt meter. The blk wire should have continuity to ground.

How are you measuring your actual speed?

Have you checked for engine/transmission codes yet?

Old 11-24-2017, 03:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

On the check engine light when I turn the key to the 2nd position does it go through a check and then shut off? mine stays on until I crank it up then goes out. as for pulling codes, when I jump the connector the light stays on.

OK I did a little test today, I unplugged the vtec solenoid and went for a little spin, I ran to the max rpm in 2nd gear 4500 with no cutting out, with the vtec plugged in max is 4250 and it almost shuts off till the rpm drops down. I am afraid I have valve train issues, is there something that would jump out if I remove the valve cover and had a look or would I have to disassemble the head to get to the problem?

Thanks,
Louis

Last edited by fosterlou; 11-24-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

The CEL should turn off when doing the bulb check before you start the car. If the CEL stays on, then you should have a code stored.

Check the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box. Also check the ECU fuse which is a 10 amp. Can't remember if it is in the cabin or engine bay fuse box. You can and should test all the fuses. Here is a method to test them quickly with a test light.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

All fuses check good, I did an oil change this morning, took a little road trip to NC, as for the speedo its 10 MPH fast, the odometer is almost dead on, I guess the cure for the speedo is to pull the needle and back it up 10 MPH?? Or is there some way to adjust it ?

Louis

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 ex questions