General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2013 Accord: ECM reset and error codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Default 2013 Accord: ECM reset and error codes

I've tried all this doesn't work on my 2013 any body know how to reset ECU for 2013?

Last edited by redbull-1; 03-10-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by keda69
I've tried all this doesn't work on my 2013 any body know how to reset ECU for 2013?
Why are you trying to reset the ECM/PCM? Btw, they aren't called an ECU anymore on the newer generations Accords.

Your generation Accord stores various specific data in non-volatile memory even if there is no electrical power such as when the battery negative terminal or some fuses are disconnected. Only some system stored data is lost when the battery or some fuses are disconnected.

An ECM/PCM reset generally is done with HDS (Honda Diagnostic System), which is Honda's proprietary hardware/software system.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Why are you trying to reset the ECM/PCM? Btw, they aren't called an ECU anymore on the newer generations Accords.

Your generation Accord stores various specific data in non-volatile memory even if there is no electrical power such as when the battery negative terminal or some fuses are disconnected. Only some system stored data is lost when the battery or some fuses are disconnected.

An ECM/PCM reset generally is done with HDS (Honda Diagnostic System), which is Honda's proprietary hardware/software system.

Can it be reset with a obd2 scan tool? I keep getting a error msg since I changed some things. And where is the ecm/pcm located.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:18 AM
Default Obd2

Will a obd2 scan tool work on a 2013 accord Lx? Can I clear error codes with it ? and where is the ecm located on the 2013, under the dash.
Thank you

Old 03-10-2014, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Can it be reset with a obd2 scan tool? I keep getting a error msg since I changed some things. And where is the ecm/pcm located.
I strongly suspect that resetting the computer will not help; the error messages will continue to show up until you fix whatever you changed.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Be careful if you try disconnecting ECM/PCM. There is a warning in shop manual not to disconnect for 40 mins after shut-down due to EVAP system monitoring.

An inexpensive obd2 monitor is best way to go. This apparently resets DTC's, ECM/PCM, and CKP pattern.

Above info was from 08-10 shop manual.

good luck

Old 03-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

I moved your posts from another thread and merged them with your new thread.

1. An OBD-II compatible scan tool can reset error (trouble) code(s) depending on the type of trouble code and the scan tool.

For ABS/SRS codes, an OBD-II scan tool with the additional capabilities to read/scan Honda ABS/SRS trouble codes in necessary. Not all OBD-II scan tools are capable of reading Honda ABS/SRS trouble codes.

2. Even with the code(s) reset, the error messages will continue to show up if the problem/fault still exist or is detected. Some faults take more than one or more trips and/or conditions for them to trigger the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (aka Check Engine Light).

3. What things did you change, which may have trigger the error code(s)?

4. Post what the actual trouble code(s) are.

5. For the 2013 LX, which is the 4 cylinder, the PCM is located on the left side of the engine compartment.

Attached Thumbnails 2013 Accord: ECM reset and error codes-4-cylinder-pcm.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 03-10-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
I moved your posts from another thread and merged them with your new thread.

1. An OBD-II compatible scan tool can reset error (trouble) code(s) depending on the type of trouble code and the scan tool.

For ABS/SRS codes, an OBD-II scan tool with the additional capabilities to read/scan Honda ABS/SRS trouble codes in necessary. Not all OBD-II scan tools are capable of reading Honda ABS/SRS trouble codes.

2. Even with the code(s) reset, the error messages will continue to show up if the problem/fault still exist or is detected. Some faults take more than one or more trips and/or conditions for them to trigger the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (aka Check Engine Light).

3. What things did you change, which may have trigger the error code(s)?

4. Post what the actual trouble code(s) are.

5. For the 2013 LX, which is the 4 cylinder, the PCM is located on the left side of the engine compartment.
The power steering is out, the abs is out, the traction control is out, Had it supposedly remapped but afterwards ran bad, and now having all the above stated problems.

Last edited by keda69; 03-10-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

The power steering is out, the abs is out, the traction control is out, Had it supposedly remapped but afterwards ran bad, and now having all the above stated problems.
It sounds like you have much larger issues than a simple computer reset will solve. Who did the remapping?

Old 03-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You can probably thank your remap guru for your troubles. What on earth possessed you to change the firmware?

Used ECU may be necessary.

good luck

Quick Reply: 2013 Accord: ECM reset and error codes