General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ignition switch or cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:09 AM
Default Ignition switch or cylinder?

Hello all. I am very new at this, so thank you in advance for your time and patience! I have a 2003 Accord Ex. A while back a friend of mine (in a drunken state) attempted to repeatedly cram his girlfriend's key into my ignition thinking he was starting her car. Now my key will go into the ignition but it takes several tries to get it to turn over. Do I need to purchase a whole new cylinder or just the lock switch (please correct me if I am not using the proper terminology)? Also will this come with the key or do I need to have it re keyed? I am trying to to this on a budget.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

If you're having difficulty turning the key, then it would be the lock cylinder. Maybe it'll help to work some graphite into there. Otherwise, you can have a locksmith look at it.

If you buy a new lock-cylinder, then it'll have a different key than the doors & trunk. If you get a locksmith, I think he can re-key a new cylinder to match your same key.

If the key turns OK but the engine doesn't "turn over" then you're looking at the electrical part of the switch, or some other problem that seems unrelated to your friend working with the wrong key.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If you're having difficulty turning the key, then it would be the lock cylinder. Maybe it'll help to work some graphite into there. Otherwise, you can have a locksmith look at it.

If you buy a new lock-cylinder, then it'll have a different key than the doors & trunk. If you get a locksmith, I think he can re-key a new cylinder to match your same key.

If the key turns OK but the engine doesn't "turn over" then you're looking at the electrical part of the switch, or some other problem that seems unrelated to your friend working with the wrong key.
+1 I agree

Old 04-24-2014, 12:59 AM
Administrator

Hello new member..Thank You for joining the HAF..

Old 04-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I copied this from another forum but if it comes to this, it may help.

There's no need to take apart the steering column per se. Remove the upper and lower plastic covers (between the steering wheel and instrument panel). You reach the phillips screws from the bottom. The starter switch is located at the back of the ignition switch assembly which is to your left as you face the steering wheel. Note that the starter switch and the ignition key cylinder are separate items and the starter switch can be replaced separately. The starter switch is what you should be replacing, not the key lock cylinder. Using the new starter switch as a guide, find and undo fasteners and electrical connectors. Reverse to install the new switch. That's all there is to it. You might be surprised at how simple it was and wonder what all the worry was about.

As always it is advisable to disconnect the battery before working on any electrical assemblies especially because of the air bag in the steering wheel. If you look at pictures of ignition lock cylinders assemblies, they will usually come with the starter switch already attached but you don't need to buy the whole thing. If you look at RockAuto's site for reference, the starter switch is listed under Electrical Switch & Relay and the whole ignition lock cylinder + switch is located under Ignition.

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2014, 05:06 PM

Why would you randomly post something that isn't even relevant to the OP's issue ?

Old 04-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hmm... I thought what I posted was relevant. I'm not in the trades but aren't the two things being considered for repair are the locking mechanics or the ignition switch? What I posted explains that the whole switch/key lock assembly need not be replaced, and that if the key turns but there is no cranking, that it could be just the switch. Maybe I misunderstood the OP. If you would, please explain where I went off the deep end.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:16 AM

If the issue is he's having problems inserting his key in as he has stated is the case and using the key to start the car, then the issue is the lock cylinder not the ignition switch. The odds of an OEM ignition switch being bad on a car that's barely 10 years old is astronomical.

Honda doesn't even call the ignition switch the starter switch.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:38 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Well, ok I accept that your critique was done in good faith. Re-reading the OP and subsequent posts it still seems to me that it is not clear if the problem is with the mechanics or the electrics but I could be mistaken and even if I thought I was right, I wouldn't argue with you.

Have a good one!

Old 07-13-2014, 07:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies

wchywmn365, what did you end up doing?