General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Annoying Smelly Oil Leak

Old 09-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Annoying Smelly Oil Leak

Hey guys, I have a 95 Accord 2.7 V6 with an annoying oil leak. The problem isn't the leak itself, its the smoke that comes from it. My dilemma is that according to my mechanic from NYC I need new valve cover gaskets ($150.00 in NYC, $250.00 in Oswego, n.y.) and Goodyear who ran a diagnostics on the car in Syracuse told me my Oil Pan was leaking and I needed an Oil Pan and a new Oil Pan Gasket ($650.00) and that the Valve cover gaskets needed to be replaced but they in no way contribute to my leak according to the Good year mechanic. I also read on the forum another member (dtcostelloe) who had a similar issue and spent over $1000 and still has not found a solution to the leak which produces the smoke. If anyone has ever had this problem or could in someway shape or form help me out I would really appreciate it. Considering im a college kid and resources are low if anyone knows how to diy that would also help since for the oil pan and the oil pan gasket good year is charging $400 for labor, and my mechanic in the city is charging me $100 for labor. I dont know if the mechanic in Oswego (A small College town near Syracuse) is on crack but a "free" oil change is not going to get me to give him $250 for what another mechanic will do for $150.

Plz help!

Old 09-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Annoying Smelly Oil Leak

You can pick up the valve cover gaskets for ~$40 and replace them yourself. You would also have to get some RTV grey.

If you look in the DIY section, there is a writeup on the oil pan/gasket replacement.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:40 AM

The oil pan gasket replacement is pretty "in depth." It may be tough for an inexperienced mechanic. Ask goodyear how much to change the gasket only, not the pan. i doubt you need a new pan. Goodyear is trying to find a way to charge you more. Valve cover gaskets shouldn't be too hard to do on a 4cyl, but on that V6 you may run into some clearance/access issues.
I have a 95 V6 too. That engine is notorious for oil leaks[:@]. Mine has minor leaks around the pan gasket too, but I am not about to go through the trouble of replacing the gasket since it is my wife's car and we will be car shopping soon.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I wont mess with the oil pan gasket then although my father told me he did it before on his chevy but different cars, different process, I actually took the car to Monro Brake and Muffler Service and they took a look at it and told me something similar to goodyear but the opposite. Instead the Main Problem was the Valve cover gaskets, and after doing a little research, cleaning everything and looking for the leak I noticed that the smoke was coming out from the bottom of the front and rear Valve covers. The front seems pretty easy to replace, but the rear Valve cover might be a problem. I also noticed the main problem with the Oil Pan Gasket is all the other things that are in the way. On my estimate Monro was charging me $98 for the valve cover gaskets and 120 for labor which is the same my other mechanic was charging me. Does anyone know where I can get VALVE COVER GASKETS for a cheaper price? and do you think Monro will complain if i bring them the parts?

Old 09-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

they won't complain, they just won't warantee the parts ... installation only. No biggie ..... I once had Strauss replace broken tranny cooler lines on an Audi that I had with a part that I made in my garage out of refrigeration tubing, a muffler strap and JB Quikweld.