Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   91 accord; replaced fan switch, fans still not coming on! (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/91-accord%3B-replaced-fan-switch-fans-still-not-coming-36868/)

jackfast 12-17-2010 04:13 PM

91 accord; replaced fan switch, fans still not coming on!

car overheating, fans not coming on.
jumped the fan switch; both fans turned on.
replaced switch; fans still not coming on, car overheating.

history; had the head gasket replaced (twice), everything was great for 1200miles, now this...

TexasHonda 12-17-2010 05:16 PM

Which fan switch did you jump? There is one at the thermostat housing behind/below the distributor (thermoswitch A) which should be the one causing your problem, and there is thermoswitch B near the upper radiator hose fitting on engine side. If you jumped thermoswitch B, the fans would turn on when keyswitch was off, but not when keyswitch is on.

Otherwise, something has been overlooked.

good luck

jackfast 12-17-2010 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda (Post 224545)
Which fan switch did you jump? There is one at the thermostat housing behind/below the distributor (thermoswitch A) which should be the one causing your problem, and there is thermoswitch B near the upper radiator hose fitting on engine side. If you jumped thermoswitch B, the fans would turn on when keyswitch was off, but not when keyswitch is on.

Otherwise, something has been overlooked.

good luck

i jumped 'A' the one on the thermostat housing, with the key on; fans came on.
so i replaced it.

so try 'B' now?

i am confused!
:confused:

TexasHonda 12-17-2010 06:40 PM

No, thermoswitch B is not the problem.

Try jumping thermoswitch A again. If fans run, then thermoswitch A is defective despite being new or you have a defective connector that is not making good contact w/ the switch pins. Thermoswitch A completes a ground path for the radiator and condensor fan relays. Power is available to fans when keyswitch is On, and relays close.

It is also possible you have intermittent fans, but both at same time seems unlikely.

If you don't have a wiring diagram, suggest downloading a 90-93 Accord manual from the Online Manuals links in DiY forum.

good luck

jackfast 02-13-2011 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda (Post 224552)
No, thermoswitch B is not the problem.

Try jumping thermoswitch A again. If fans run, then thermoswitch A is defective despite being new or you have a defective connector that is not making good contact w/ the switch pins. Thermoswitch A completes a ground path for the radiator and condensor fan relays. Power is available to fans when keyswitch is On, and relays close.

It is also possible you have intermittent fans, but both at same time seems unlikely.

If you don't have a wiring diagram, suggest downloading a 90-93 Accord manual from the Online Manuals links in DiY forum.

good luck

update;
you were right, the brand new fan switch was defective!
(either that, or i broke it when attempting to install)
i appreciate your help!
thank you