General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

91 ACCORD LX 5SPD [2ND GEAR POPS OUT]

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:52 AM
Default 91 ACCORD LX 5SPD [2ND GEAR POPS OUT]

MY 2ND GEAR GRINDS OR POPS OUT; IT IS BEING HIT OUT.. I CAN HEAR A PRETTY LOUD NOISE; KINDA LIKE GRINDING..BUT IT IS MORE LIKE SOMETHING IS HITTING OR CLIPPING.. LIKE IF THE TEETH ARE NOT LINING UP..

THIS IS ONLY WHEN I LET GO OF THE CLUCTH AND ESPECIALLY WHEN IM TURNING.

IF IM GOING STRIGHT AND I KINDA POP THE CLUCTH OR DUMP IT AS SAID BY SOME.. IT GRABS THE GEAR HALF THE TIME AND I CAN GO THROUGH THE ENTIRE RPM RANGE WITH NO PROBLEM WHEN IT GRABS AND ALSO.. ALL THE OTHER GEARS ARE FINE.. NO PROBLEM.. 3RD IS HARD TO PUT IN WHEN IM RACING. OR POWER SHIFTING..

ANY AND ALL HELP IS MOST APRECIATED..

LOV MY ACCORD.. STILL SMOKING..

Old 01-03-2007, 05:51 AM
Default RE: 91 ACCORD LX 5SPD [2ND GEAR POPS OUT]

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION..

I READ ON HERE AS MUCH AS I COULD AND I READ ABOUT THE FLUID BEING THE CORRECT ONE FOR THE CAR AND ITS TRANNY..

I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS CHANGING GEARS AT HIGH RPMS BUT I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WAS BECUZ.. THE SHIFT LINKAGE IS CABLE..

SO I CHANGE MY TRANNY OIL TO MOTUL RACING TRANNY OIL.. AND THE HIGH RPM SHIFTS ARE GOOD.. BUT THIS SECOND GEAR FEELS LIKE IT WENT TO HELL.. NOW..
COULD THE OIL BE IT.. MY ENGINE MOTUL RACING OIL IS KICK ***. IM FULL SYNT. NOW... MY ENGINE RUNS SO GOOD.. AND IT FEELS LIKE ITS VTEC NOW.. WHEN I HIT ABOUT 45 OR 5000 RPM.. IT KICKS HARD.. PINGS OFF NOW.. BUT THIS TRANNY MAN..

ANY AND ALL HELP AND ATTENTION IS MOST APRECIATED

LOV MY ACCORD AND STILL DROPPING BURNERS EVEN WITH NO SECOND GEAR SHIFTAGE...LOL..

I AM CURRENTLY PLAYING WITH THE ADJUSTMENTS TO THE SHIFT CABLES AT THE SHIFTER AND TRYING TO LEARN HOW TO DO THE ONES AT THE TRANNY AND EVEN GOING TO TRY LEARN THE CLUCTH CUZ IT HAS ALOT OF PLAY.. I START GETTING TENSION ONCE IM PAST HALF WAY DOWN.. AND I HAVE TO PRESS IT PAST THE FIREWALL TO GET THE GEARS IN..LOL.. AND WHEN I LET IT GO.. IT GRABS RIGHT AWAY.. HELP A FELLOW FRUSTRATED AND TIRED.. ACCORDER.. I GOT HOOK UPS FOR PARTS AND BODY AND PAINT IF YOU LIVE IN LA OR SOUTHERN CALI.. IF NEEDED.. OR LOOKING.. NOT SPAMIN. JUST RETURN FAVOR FOR YOUR HELP..

Old 01-03-2007, 10:25 AM

Sounds like a bent shift fork to me. Second gear always goes first when you beat em.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:22 PM

ill look it up..dont really know what part that is..

ive alwayz had that shift problem.. since i got the car.. its just now..it pops out and stuff..

especially when i turn..

someone told me it might be bad mounts.. they cause my trannie to shift and move around causing my gears to not line up right.. or somethin glike that..

is the fork replaceable by its self..

thanks for your time and attention..

Old 01-03-2007, 05:28 PM

If it were bad mounts it would probably affect more than just second gear.... Not to mention you would feel a lot of engine vibration... It sounds like a bad shift fork or synchros which is all replaceable but I believe it requires removing the tranny to do it.... Hopefully someone will followup on this I'm not a tranny guy at all....

Old 01-03-2007, 05:59 PM

hey thanks for the info.. dang but it looks like you have to completely remove the damm trans.. and take it apart also.. shoot.. thats a lot of dang work.. plus the part is kinda expensive..

but i think you right about the fork being bent.. cuz i have to pull the shifter all the way back or down.. and i feel like something is going to break..lol.. and its probly becuz the dang fork is bent and im just bending more when i get pisssed.. lol.. and pull that shifter back like im trying to push it down to through the floor board and then jump on it..lol..

still lov my honda though.. and still droping burners..

burned a new z06 1st 2nd gears and 3rd he passed me but he didnt keep going he let up as my 3rd began to reach redline and he had to shift to 4th.. where i do most of my killings.. but that always hapens they get scared.. 3rd goes past1oo seen go passed 110 when i had a cat..

Old 01-03-2007, 06:15 PM

couled either be the forks or the clutch going out

Old 01-03-2007, 06:22 PM

lol whos hapy funball.. lol.. yeah im thinking the clucth..but i think your right about the fork.. it does seem like its bent.. now that i know what it is and what is happing with the tranni.. it might both of those things.. shi.. t..
im in for some good spendings.. dang.. might try to do it myself.. just get the parts.. [but i will try to figure out alittle more about this problem.. im hearing alot of things.. fork sounds themost possible right now..

still lov my accord.. and still droping burners with no clucth and second gear..lol

Old 01-03-2007, 07:39 PM

happy fun ball is a Saturday Night Live skit... Man did you ever think that since the car is messing up to QUIT RACING IT. god its only a 4-cylinder they are meant for regular driving not attempting to race a Corvette ZO6 wich is a futil attempt in the first place considering a ZO6 has 510-HP.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:41 PM

happy fun ball is a Saturday Night Live skit... Man did you ever think that since the car is messing up to QUIT RACING IT. god its only a 4-cylinder they are meant for regular driving not attempting to race a Corvette ZO6 wich is a futil attempt in the first place considering a ZO6 has 510-HP.

Quick Reply: 91 ACCORD LX 5SPD [2ND GEAR POPS OUT]