General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing water pump. anything else along the way?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Default Replacing water pump. anything else along the way?

i have a 1994 honda accord non-vtec auto transmission. i have to replace the water pump, and after doing a little reading on here i found a)it's too expensive to have someone else do it b)changing the timing belt at the same time is a must. while i'm in there i'm going to change the distributor cap, spark plugs, and spark plug wires. my question is if there's anything else that makes sense to change while i'm doing this. the car has 200,000 miles, and i'm pretty sure that anything that needs to be changed periodically probably needs it as i just bought the car about 1,000 ago. also for anyone that has done this before if there's any tips/advice from anyone that has done this before i would take any advice from novice to advanced. i have the helms manual and a haynes to help walk me through this, but any tricks of the trade would be very helpful. this will be the first mechanical task i've done outside of oil change, air filter, etc.

thanks in advance for any info.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Changing the TB/water pump is not difficult, but pretty tedious. Take you time and make sure you get the new belts installed properly. Read as many DIYs on this as you can and ask a lot of questions before you try to tackle this job.

I use white-out to mark the old belt and the sprockets, so I have a second set of marks to make sure I installed it properly.

The hardest part is getting the crankbolt off to remove the harmonic balancer. That has been covered many times on these forums.

Here is one I found by searching: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?t=29077

Old 08-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

I would also suggest check/adjust the valve lash, the cover is off..why not. Of course check/replace the seals (crank, cam,ect) while doing the t-belt.