General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1989 Accord Keeps Running with KEY OFF

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Default 1989 Accord Keeps Running with KEY OFF

Hello and thank you for being here. My name is Russell and I'm stranded in a remote location trying to figure something out.

About a week ago I noticed when I shut the car off there was a fan sound under the hood that kept running and then shut off after a while. I had never noticed it before.

2 days ago, the car started making beeps and clicks with no key in the ignition.

It starts just fine. Then yesterday I turned the key off and removed it, and the car kept running. I had to pull the coil to shut it off.

I replaced the ignition tumbler and ignition switch with brand new BW parts. It is doing the same thing.

I disconnect the battery after pulling the coil. When I re-connect the battery there is a "hiss" near the firewall, a beep inside and the dash lights come on and stay on.

Any ideas?

Old 03-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have an alarm and/or a remote starter installed?

Old 03-22-2011, 03:21 AM

Thank you for your reply!

That is a no to both.

It appears the alternator diodes may be fried which is causing feedback to the ignition system. The problem is I can't get to the white wire on the back to pull it for a test.

I am going to have to get it to a shop. I had a local friend-of-a-friend look at it and he says there is no harm in driving it. I just have to pull the coil to shut it off and remove the battery cable so the interior stuff isn't on.

Russell

Old 03-22-2011, 02:51 PM

Scratch that theory.

I just went to run some errands and overnight the car has repaired itself. It is operating perfectly - $130 and 12 hours later!

I discovered last night that the trunk had filled with rain and run in to soak the passenger side carpet front and back. I ran a heater all night and this morning it was perfectly dry.

A short? A Gremlin? The full moon?

Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

DX, LX or LXi-(or another way, carb'd or FI-if carb'd, power windows or not)? Could help with getting to the alt, I know the issue is gone for now but in the future? Will also help with the leak. Pass side tail light gasket or if an LXi (4 dr) also check the rear sun/moon roof drain. I've posted a pic of the left/drivers side location before but can re-post or take one of the pass side and post that.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:51 AM

4-door, FI, power windows with sun/moon roof. I would actually like to see a picture since I have had some water come in before. It happened a couple of times after a good rain. I hit the brakes and a nice icy surprise came down my neck.

Thank you very much,
Russell

Old 03-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

There's a hose in each corner of the framework, acting a bit like a drip tray. If the hoses are plugged, water will collect in the tray & pour out when you turn or brake.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

This is the left/drivers side rear drain. Should give you a good idea of where the other side is as well. From the rear, looking up between the "bumper" shell and the body you should find this. Look for the white plastic piece first, then look for the little tube. I use weed eater line to clean it out when it gets clogged...BTW you might get a little wet.

Sounds like, guess, your issue is with the rear, hit the brakes-water moves forward- and you get wet. And there is water in the trunk. However if this happens while backing up, then I'd say you have two issues. One, tail light leaks. Two the front drains are clogged-have pic's of those as well.

Attached Thumbnails 1989 Accord Keeps Running with KEY OFF-3rd-gen-lxi-r-drain2.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 03-23-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: yes I can't spell