General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 LX pwr door locks quit working

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 02:57 PM
zoominhuman
Unregistered
Default 1998 LX pwr door locks quit working

Just recently picked up a all original 96,000 mile1998 4-door Accord LX to run around in. The other day the power door locks quit working. Neither the driver or passenger side switches do anything. Checked the fuse on the passenger side of the dash for the power door lock circuit & it looked good. Swapped a fuse from a diff location & still nothing. Acts like there's no power to the system.There is no sound of anything electrical happening. Just the switches themselves mechanically clicking. Why would both switches (driver & passenger)quit working yet the fuse is still good ? I don't even know what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Dave

Old 02-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Default RE: 1998 LX pwr door locks quit working

it defenitly sounds like a fuse... I don't have a wiring diagram but have you check your underhood and drivers side (I believe there is a fuse box there as well....could be wrong) fuse boxes? does your car automatically lock it's doors after a certain speed? also, try locking the car then unlock the doors from the passenger side with the key, I believe that will unlock your drivers side door as well... if not then it confirms that you're not getting power...

Old 02-21-2007, 07:46 PM
zoominhuman
Unregistered

***UPDATE*** I neglected to mention that the check engine light has been on as I believe it's unrelated to this problem. After pulling several different fuses yesterday & finding them all good, asI drove the car this morning I noticed that the check engine light was now out. I guess something was reset yesterday when a handful of different fuses were pulled & checked. Driving the car again this afternoon, I noticed that the check engine light was now back on. So I tried the power door locks. They now work ! The car sat for 5 months before I picked it up. I'm thinking I need to remove & clean both battery terminals . Should be fine after that. Now I need to see about that check engine light. Thanks to sir_nasty for your input ! I found the fuse for the powerdoor lock on the passenger side of the dash yesterday. That is the only fuse for the power door locks of the three possible locations. Thanks again. Dave

Old 02-21-2007, 07:58 PM

get that code read and let us know what it is.... if the car set that long I wouldn't be suprised if it was some sort of emissions code.... it's also possible that the fuse and/or a wire was loose and you re-seated it by checking it..... make a new thread and post the codes when you get them, or just click on the search function and type them in, LOTS of code info on here....

Old 03-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Same car, same idea

My right front passenger side went a few days ago. All the other locks unlock and lock when I press the lock mechanism from the inside as well as locking the door on the outside of the drivers door.

I haven't checked the fuses (it's a monsoon here and I don't have a dry place to work yet) but is it likely that it's just a fuse? *crosses fingers*