General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 accord shutting off after shifting up.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 12:34 PM
88bluesi
Unregistered
Default 92 accord shutting off after shifting up.

Yesterday my wife tells me she ran the car out of gas and the car was still not on empty. She had someone put 5 gallons of gas in it and it started and ran fine the 15 more minutes home. I didn't think anything of it other than she ran it out of gas and maybe the fuel gauge was off a little.
Then today we are driving up a hill on the interstate and the car is running fine. The car shifted up a gear and the rpms went to about 5.5k. The check engine light came on immediately and then the rpms dropped to 0 and the car shutoff and we drifted off the side of the road. I could not get the car to start again for a few minutes. Then we let it set for 10 minutes and it started and ran fine the 15 minutes back to the house. I am pretty sure this is something electrical since it was so sudden and the rpm gauge dropped immediately after the check engine light. One of my friends who does some mechanic work said it sounds like a kick down sensor in the transmission. The cars transmission has not been working great for the last two years but it never seemed to get any worse. My wife said it did basically the same thing yesterday when it shut off as well.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Old 07-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 92 accord shutting off after shifting up.

Since the check engine light came on, you want to find out the code(s) stored in the ECU. Short the service connector using thin paperclip. Instructions on this site:

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

This is for a 94-97 accord, but your accord will be almost identical. Your two pin connector might be brown.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:13 PM
88bluesi
Unregistered

I got back to the car and read the codes off the CEL and TCU. The CEL and D4 light blinked one long and 5 short. a 15 is an ignition out put problem and a 15 on the TCU is a failed TCU. Has anybody had any experience with this? Can I just replace it with one from a junkyard?

Old 07-06-2008, 03:38 PM
88bluesi
Unregistered

I actually had that happen to me on a previous accord. I think the difference is that when that happens you are done. I did not check to see if I could hear the fuel pump come on when this happened as I was beside a noisy interstate but I was accelerating up hill when it happened.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

The transmission code 15 is a fault in the mainshaft speed sensor. It would cause the tranny to shift hard, and likely didn't cause the stall. This might be why your transmission is shifting poorly. If your D4 light has stayed on while driveing since the tranny shifted poorly, then checking the connector or replacing that sensor might solve your problem.

The ECU code 15 is for the ignition output signal. That is the cause of your car stalling. The cause is likely the ignition control module (ICM) or possibly the ignition coil. I would pull off the distributor cap and make sure that the four wires on the ICM are secure and clean.