Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   93 Accord Problem (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/93-accord-problem-6204/)

RRdvark 11-30-2006 11:05 AM

93 Accord Problem

New member here with a problem (of course):

I've got a 93 Accord LX 4-door. It starts and runs fine, but sometimes (not always) after about 10 minutes of driving it will just die (in a no-spark-to-the-plugs way). After a while (15 minutes once, 2 hours another time) it will start back up again and run fine. What's strange is before it dies, the tachometer starts acting funny. It will drop to zero while I'm driving - everything else seems to be functioning normally - then the tach starts working again, then drop to zero again, etc. Soon after that, the car will die. The big frustration is I can't get it to happen again so I can track down the problem. The car died yesterday morning on my way to work, started back up at lunch time, then started and ran fine last night for 90 minutes when I was trying to get it to die (made so many laps around the block I felt like a NASCAR driver). I'm pretty confident I can find the problem if I can get it to quit running when I have time to work on it, but it is not cooperating.

Anybody else ever have a similar problem or issues with the tachometer quiting for no apparent reason? I know this is not one that can be easily diagnosed or solved over the internet, but I'm hoping something like this has happened to somebody else.

Thanks in advance.

YeuEmMaiMai 11-30-2006 11:09 AM

RE: 93 Accord Problem

when your car quits do some things work and not others?

with the tach it could be loose connection or a tach head that is starting to die out. you will have to check all the connections from the distrib/ignition module

deserthonda 11-30-2006 11:30 AM

you should test the ignitor when car shuts down and getting no spark .. it sounds like it is the problem

RRdvark 11-30-2006 11:48 AM

Everything seems to be working (lights, radio, etc.) when the car quits. It is just the tach starts acting up right before the car quits. What is the tach getting its signal from (distributor, igniter)? I have a Hayne's shop manual and the wiring schematic doesn't really show what the tach is wired to.

JimBlake 11-30-2006 02:12 PM

Tach should get it's signal from the igniter (inside distributor). I think it's a blue wire. Later, at least by my '98, the tach gets it signal from the ECU. That IS shown in the wiring drawings in the Helm book.

hondadude 11-30-2006 10:26 PM

throw an ignitor in it

deserthonda 12-01-2006 01:49 AM

ORIGINAL: hondadude

throw an ignitor in it
YO Dude ,,,,, is that a pic of yourself ??

RRdvark 04-30-2009 12:42 PM

New distributor cap fixed the problem - wires were bare from rubbing in the old cap.

(yes, that was over 2 years ago)

New problem: car accelerates fine with less than 25% throttle but misses like it is running on 2 or 3 cylinders when I give it more throttle. This happens in every gear below 2500 rpm. Above 2500 rpm, I can give it full throttle and it accelerates fine. If it starts missing and I back off the throttle, everything is okay. If I keep the throttle on it will continue to miss, even when it gets above 2500 rpm. I've checked almost all the sensors (MAP, throttle position, etc.) and they are all within spec. I've removed the intake and cleaned the EGR ports and it didn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks