General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94’ Honda Accord Ex won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 12:11 AM
Default 94’ Honda Accord Ex won’t start

I have a 94’ Honda Accord Ex that won’t start. I put a new battery in it. The dash lights work and all the outside lights work as well. It won’t turn over or crank. I checked all the fuses but all are good. When I go to start it, all the lights come on and the door beeping comes on but no others sounds at all. I need help as soon as possible if anyone can give some insight. Thank you and all help is much appreciated!!

Old 06-07-2019, 03:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies

When you say it doesnt crank do you hear the starter engage? Is there a clicking noise from the starter. Too little info.

Old 06-08-2019, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Casper Young
When you say it doesnt crank do you hear the starter engage? Is there a clicking noise from the starter. Too little info.
When I turn the key all the way over, no sound motor doesn’t turn over, nothing. I hear the fuel pump engage. I checked all the fuses and relays and all of them are getting power. Could it be the starter or the ignition switch? It ran and drove just fine then sat through winter and now won’t start.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:38 AM

Get a long screwdriver or pole and wack the starter a couple of times

Old 06-08-2019, 07:06 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Starter issue

Commonly with old Chevys we used to smack it with a small hammer to release the bendix springs inside. Sometimes it worked most often it did not. We also had a solinoid which would push out the starter wheel and it's the starter that spins the wheel. Typically I turn the headlights on then try to start it. I don't know if anyone is familiar with this technique But I often use it to determine if the starter is functioning or how well because sometimes it's hard to get at it and jump start it.. If you have a problem with the starter let's say it's bound up on the flywheel and cannot turn your headlights will dim drastically. If the starter relay, the soliniod or the starter lost connection no dimming of headlights. Most common noise I hear is a rapid clicking which is the soliniod trying to kick out the wheel and the starter does not engage until this wheel is fully extended. Since you apparently are not hearing any noises it's usually one of three things, the starter relay, the solinoid or the neutral safety switch.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

With Hondas it's often the motor brushes are worn down just barely enough to lose contact. Hit it while someone is turning the key - that works a few times but buys enough time to either get a starter or get parts to repair it. I don't remember which years are easy or difficult to get those parts.