General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:50 AM
drobb
Unregistered
Default starting problems

Someone please help me help my Pastor. I am trying to help my Pastor fix his car. He is mechanically declined and I am not much better. However...I can fix a problem if I know what it is.
A few weeks ago his 95 Accord 4cyl started acting up...it would start and run then die. We have replaced the distributor cap and rotor, air filter, plugs and cleaned the throttle body. After that it did fine for a couple day until it left him stranded. We now have towed it back home. Now what we notice is.....when you turn the key to the start position the car will start fine...you let go of the key it dies. We have noticed tho....when the car starts...instead of just letting go of the key...if while holding it....you let it ease back a tiny bit....you hear the starter disengage and the car will run as long as you hold the key in that position...as soon as you let it go...it dies.
We searched on the internet and found a ingition key cylinder and wiring harness. I am going to put that on this weekend. I guess my question is....do you think this will be the problem or could it be a selnoid or other wiring problem somewhere else? Has anyone else experienced this problem.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: starting problems

Hondas are notorious for flaky ignition switches. Especially if you have a heavy keychain. Your description of holding the key a bit so it doesn't release all the way back is excellent. That is the exact way to TEST for a bad switch.

Probably just need the electrical switch part, not the mechanical lock cylinder. Check whether the mechanical action of the key is sloppy, if so you need the lock cylinder.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:25 PM
drobb
Unregistered

Thank you Mr. Blake. I already have the complete "set-up" i.e. cylinder (with key), switch and wiring. So I will go ahead and replace all of it. From looking at it, I don't think it will be too difficult. Can you offer any suggestions that may make it easier? Also, If I replace the whole thing....does the computer need to be reprogrammed?

Old 11-26-2008, 12:37 PM
drobb
Unregistered

Also, I have already replaced the fuel filter. That was a pain in the neck, back, legs and knuckles.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

I never had to do that to my cars (yet)... Shouldnt be any programming. Accord didnt have an immobilizer until 1998.

There mightbe some funny bolts to clamp the lock cylinder in place. Have to drill them out? Factory clamp bolts are the break-off type to make it difficult for a thief to remove the lock cylinder. You can use normal bolts if you want (after removing the old ones).

Old 11-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

I would not mess with the lock cylinder if you don't have too.
Because then you wind up with 2 different keys to keep track of.

If the car has airbags, be very cautious of the flat ribbon cable in the steering column,going to the air bag.