General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord Battery goes dead

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 92 Accord Battery goes dead

The battery in my 92 Accord goes dead when the car is off. I have jumped it a couple of times now and had it running fine, charged the battery back up, but when I turn it off and come back to it a day or so later the battery is dead. I have used a muti meter while the car is running and the charge seems to check out. After charging it up and turning the car off I check it again and it reads out at nearly 13. When I come back a day or so later it reads at about 6 and won't start obviously. There is no switches on, lights on, or electronics running that I can tell that would drain it....

Any ideas as to what might be causing this? Could it just be a bad battery even though it's fairly new and seems to charge up fine when I jump it?

Old 11-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Charge it up then disconnect the battery cables. If it STILL goes dead than you know its a bad battery.

Otherwise you're gonna be hunting for parasite currents. Or something like a trunk or interior light that doesn't turn off when you close the trunk lid. Got aftermarket audio with an amplifier that doesn't turn off? Anything like that?

Old 11-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'll try charging it again and removing the cables when I get a chance and see if the charge holds.. no aftermarket amp or anything like that. I'll check out the switches for all the different lights again, but I didn't notice anything unusual the first time.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It took me a bit to reply, but it turns out the battery was losing it's charge by itself even after I disconnected it. I brought it to the store to get it load tested and it failed, so I now have a new one. Thanks for the help... Now I only just have one major thing left to decide if I want to tackle myself, or if I should try and sell it...