General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluctuating Idle on 2002 Honda accord V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:50 AM
Default Fluctuating Idle on 2002 Honda accord V6

Hey guys. This is my first time posting to a car forum so bear with me. I have a 2002 honda accord v6 coupe. It had about 180,000 miles on it and is in excellent condition, both running and internally. I’ve always hadl the car serviced regularly, and have changed out old belts and such due to wear and tear. Recently I had a bad idle air control valve, because of the extremely low dipping idle, which at times wouldn’t even be enough rpms to keep the engine on. So, I replaced the part, cleared the code. All good. A few days later I noticed the rmp fluctuation was back. But when it dipped too low this time it instantly shot back up, where as before the car would just die. I figured maybe the car needed a longer period of relearn mode to understand the new part. My check engine light came on again, so I ran the code for it and it was the EVAP ftp sensor. I figured it was an old sensor that had gone faulty so replaced it out with a new one. Once again, the rpms we’re fine, and the car was running smooth again at an idle. Just today, as I was heading to work, the check engine light flashed on again, and that same persistent problem with the idle dipping low occurred again. To the point where the car shakes a bit and headlights dim, but then shoots right back up to correct itself. I’m not sure what could be the problem. I don’t detect any leaks of any kind. The car was inspected pretty throughly to try and find the issue before the code was diagnosed. Could it be the the idle air control valve I bought wasn’t a faulty part? The code doesn’t read idle air control valve anymore though so, so I’m not sure what’s going on. I haven’t had a chance to run to new check engine light code, but can’t imagine it being something newer than what it was before with the EVAP FTP sensor. If anyone wants to drop any ideas below it would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

How is your coolant level in the radiator?

Old 05-16-2019, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

x2 for coolant level in the radiator (not just the overflow bottle).
Do you know the actual error code numbers?