General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 2.2 Vtec tps sensor ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 06:29 PM
Default 95 2.2 Vtec tps sensor ?'s

Hi, think the tps sensor is bad are there any concrete ways to know it is or is not working correctly? If it's not working Honda tps sensor is $115.00 and yet aftermarket averages around $50.00 would it be wise to buy the Honda tps sensor or would aftermarket be o.k? It is a 1995 Accord with 308,000 miles the motor and tranny seem to be strong and just put new timing belt and all the stuff that goes with a timing belt job done right. Try to take care of it but it's getting old if it is bad is the Honda sensor worth it? Any and all advice is appreciated thank you.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Have you checked for engine and transmission codes? See common diy thread on top of gen tech help forum on how to read CEL codes.

What symptoms is your car having?

Old 05-30-2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Have you checked for engine and transmission codes? See common diy thread on top of gen tech help forum on how to read CEL codes.

What symptoms is your car having?
Hi PAhonda, the gear indicator for the auto tranny does not flash in the dash, as far as engine codes no I have not do not have a way of checking as far as I know. Will check the section though because if it's remembered correctly might just need a paper clip to check the codes.

Symptoms, sometimes the accelerator pedal has to pushed 3/4 of the way down to accelerate, it's like the motor just bogs down and then all of a sudden at 3/4 it's a violent downshift along with the RPM's skyrocketing. It happens quite a bit on this hill to my residence but not only on hills one time was turning on street and wanted to accelerate to put get some speed so the cars behind me don't need to slow down and kept pushing gradually on the pedal and nothing so then finally got to 3/4 and it's like there is a race. A mechanic I work with pulled the tps wire and the check engine light came on and then plugged it back in trying to diagnose this problem he said it was accelerating better after unplugging it and plugging it back in also on the way home I got to the hill and it did accelerate properly but he said there are other things it could be. He told me to look up tps sensors for this car and let him know what I find out. Thank you Mr. PAhonda you have been contributing on the forum for a long time thanks for your all your help!

Old 05-30-2018, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

The 95 accord just needs a paperclip to do the test. There is a blue service connector under the glove box that you short to read the codes.

I had a 95 accord and I recall that Honda didn't just sell the TPS, but made you buy the entire throttle body. The TPS is held in by bolts, but the bolt heads are round and look like rivets. You have to use a dremel to cut a slot then use a screwdriver to remove the TPS.

It is rare that someone actually has to replace the TPS on the 5th generation accords.

Your actual problem could be from a number of sensors, wiring, the ECU, the TCU, fuel delivery just to name a few. You could easily throw a lot of parts at the car and not fix the actual problem. Checking the codes is the first step to help direct your testing.