General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 Accord Overheating- ive chged evrything!

Old 03-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Default 95 Accord Overheating- ive chged evrything!

Hi all, my name is Chris and new to the forum!
  • 95 ACCORD EX 2.2L VTEC AT 4 door.

1. I would drive the car from Camarillo California to West Hollywood and it would overheat by the time I got to Laurel Canyon about 40 miles away . I've changed the radiator I've changed the thermostat the water pump the timing belt too and it still is overheating after of a good drive. yesterday's when I change the water pump and now its still overheating and it seems as if the power isnt as much as it was before we changed the water pump and timing belt. The only thing that I can think of is the head gasket. I had one episode of white smoke when I was on my way home one day from West Hollywood I stopped in Calabasas put gas in my car and then turned the car on and white smoke came out the exhaust. I immediately turn off the car and let it set for two hours. After I let it set for two hours, I decided to drive it back to Camarillo from calabasas and it made it just fine with no white smoke so I've never seen white smoke again since that time. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:11 PM

Couple of questions...

Does it overheat while driving, or when sitting at a light or both?

When you say "over heat", does the gauge ride all the way to the "H" steadily, or does it hover at a normal place for a while then instantly go to "H"?

I don't see radiator cap on your list. I assume that's recent as well?

Last edited by Half-fast; 03-06-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:20 PM

Make sure the fans work and come on when it reaches proper temps.Also,are you burping the system getting the air out of the coolant?

Old 03-07-2014, 11:47 PM

Assuming the rad cap is good it does sound like a head gasket.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:38 AM

Hi guys yes the radiator cap is new. 2 days ago I had a mechanic change the water pump and timing belt. After the change, it was running a bit rough and I can hear the valves rattling. im guessing he missed a timing issue somewhere. I watched him perform majority of the work. He said for sure he timed it correctly but since the valves are rattling, I have my doubts. The car doesn't wind out like before the repair. feels like it is being held back. the old water pump was still in good condition but of course we put the new one in.

So, you guys agree I have a timing issue and also now need to look at R & R the head gasket?

Old 03-08-2014, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by 96FiveSpeed
Make sure the fans work and come on when it reaches proper temps.Also,are you burping the system getting the air out of the coolant?
Yes the fans work good and yes burping the system also

Old 03-08-2014, 04:51 AM

First things first. Set the engine to TDC and check that mechanical timing is correct. Assuming it is, run a compression test to check if the head is warped.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

What does "valves are rattling" mean? A head gasket will not always produce white smoke. But 40 miles seems like a long time for a car to overheat with a head-gasket issue. Did you install a new or used radiator and is the condenser side free of debris. it doesn't take much. On my 95 the original rad was copper while the replacement was aluminum which is not as efficient by size.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:04 AM

So does it run rough immediately or after it overheats?

Old 03-11-2014, 10:55 AM

it runs rough immediately and valves are chattering(rattling) like timing is retarded, car feels held back, limited. Fans do come on after heating up. Ive installed a new radiator, cap, thermostat, water pump(the other WP wasnt bad), and a timing belt. I had some I had some someone else do the WP and timing belt. Kris, what does condenser side free of debris mean? Also, in the morning before driving, ill check the radiator and its under an extreme amount of pressure. its wierd.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 Accord Overheating- ive chged evrything!