Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   96 2.2 -P0171 (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/96-2-2-p0171-44520/)

cwd2879 12-18-2011 11:07 AM

96 2.2 -P0171

I'm new here and have the same problem with a '96 Accord 2.2l vtec. Did anyone have a remedy for the problem?

I just bought the car with 197.000 miles. It flashed the p0171 code (running lean). I checked the codes with my scan tool and then cleared them. The check engine has not come back on but the hesitation is still there. Last night I floored while it was hesitating from a takeoff and it spun the tires! If I floor it runs fine. Then when I let off it starts the hesitating again. Any remedies are greatly appreciated!

poorman212 12-18-2011 12:16 PM

You posted at the end of a long thread, so I moved this to a new one...change the title if you don't like the one I gave it :)

What if any tests or maint items have you done, or not done, recently.

cwd2879 12-19-2011 06:43 AM

Thanks for the quick response!

After it started (which was about 20 minutes after I bought the car.....) the first thing was check the plugs and wires which are good then I changed the fuel filter. This did not help at all. I'm sure it needed changing anyway. Also, after this step I cleared the code and it hasn't reappeared at all.

I then cleaned all of the egr ports and made sure that the egr valve was working correctly, which it is. For some reason when I checked the plugs and wires I didn't pull the distributor cap. This was my next move, and it was burnt! I thought I had found my problem! So on went the new distributor cap and rotor button, then a can of seafoam through a vacuum hose. I let it warm up to temperature and went for a test drive covering all different manners of driving. It ran great... until I turned back onto the road I live on. It started having no power until I went wide open throttle, it would catch up and run great.

As I drive in the car I have a scan tool hooked to it. Being the first year of OBD2 it doesn't give a a lot of info. One thing I do get from it is that the computer is getting a correct reading from the coolant temperature sensor. It's reading around 190 degrees.

Most people I have talked to have said that an O2 sensor won't fix this but with the mileage on the car I don't think it can hurt, so that is my next step. Then maybe the fuel pressure regulator.

Again, any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated!!

PAhonda 12-19-2011 04:01 PM

Here is the list of probable causes:

• Fuel supply system
• Primary HO2S (Sensor 1 )
• MAP sensor
• Contaminated fuel
• Valve clearance
• Exhaust leakage

Take a look for leaks in the exhaust system or holes. Check the exhaust manifold for cracks.

A bad map sensor should give you a code. You may want to replace the o-ring that seals the MAP sensor on the throttle body.

I bought a Denso direct fit O2 sensor for my 95 vtec accord and never used it. Denso makes the Honda O2 sensors, so it is an OEM sensor. Send me a PM or email if you are interested in buying it. I have no need for it, since I sold the car around a year ago.

cwd2879 12-20-2011 07:27 AM

I have a bout a 20 minute drive to the closest auto parts store. So, yesterday morning I climbed under the car and unplugged the O2 sensor. I ran some errands around town and it continued to drive fine. I went to the parts store, purchased a new O2 sensor and replaced it (that thing was REALLY stuck!). I went for a test drive and all seems to be well.

Now, I'm gonna drive it for a bit. Soon I'm gonna replace the timing belt for some peace of mind. The valves are making a little noise so I'm going to be sure to check those as well.

Thanks for the info. As time allows I'm going to try and go through all of the systems you mentioned.

Hopefully one day I'll be sharp enough on Honda's to be able to give others a hand on here!

Thanks!!

creed11@yahoo.com 09-07-2015 08:27 AM

Same hesitation problem with 1996 Accord 2.2L EX

cwd2879,
I read your posting from a while back and I've got the exact same problem.
I've already change spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter and pcv. I also checked for leaks in the intake manifold by spraying water on the gasket lines, but got no added issues. The CEL with code P0171 has happened twice and I've cleared it. However, this CEL doesn't follow when the hesitation occurs.
Any comments on how you solved this on your Accord?:shrug:

TexasHonda 09-07-2015 11:16 AM

P0171 is lean condition detected by PCM. Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT) has exceeded a limit condition (usually 25-30%) which leads to P0171.

Lean condition results from excess unmetered air (intake manifold, vacuum line, PCV, fuel injector seals, etc) or low fuel delivery (blocked injector/s, low fuel pressure).

Intake leaks can be detected by spraying a generous stream of water (squirt gun size) onto all parts of intake and listening for a change in engine idle (stumble). Rule out intake leaks as these are easier to detect than fuel delivery problem.

Fuel pressure can be checked to meet spec, but checking individual fuel injectors requires a fuel injector balance test tool and fuel pressure gauge.

good luck

cwd2879 09-08-2015 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by creed11@yahoo.com (Post 362917)
cwd2879,
I read your posting from a while back and I've got the exact same problem.
I've already change spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter and pcv. I also checked for leaks in the intake manifold by spraying water on the gasket lines, but got no added issues. The CEL with code P0171 has happened twice and I've cleared it. However, this CEL doesn't follow when the hesitation occurs.
Any comments on how you solved this on your Accord?:shrug:

Unfortunately I was never able to solve the problem. I tried all of the things that were mentioned in the post but was unable to fix the problem. Being aggravated at the car probably didn't help things. What I ultimately did was unplug the O2 sensor and lived with the check engine light. I later sold the car to a friend and they continued to drive it for a few months until the car was in an accident...... Sorry I can't be of more help.

Charles Dawson
BlueRidgeSynthetics.com

creed11@yahoo.com 09-08-2015 12:42 PM

Still working the Po171 issue

To TexasHonda, I already tried spraying water on the intake manifold gasket seams and didn't see any new faltering occur.

However, I thought about the common event of clearing the recycle gas channel that I did to clear a CEL about 6 months before this started to happen and was also noted in the original email of this thread. This required the removal of the fuel injectors. Plus I had a recent leak of gasoline from one of the injectors due to a damaged o-ring which probably originated from the same event. So I've ordered from Honda new gaskets and o-rings for all the injectors and will install in a few days. I'll see where that goes and let you know.

creed11@yahoo.com 09-19-2015 06:33 AM

Better but the hesitation is still there.

I installed the new Honda gaskets and o-rings for the fuel injectors. The hesitation still happens to a lesser extent and less frequently. No code p0171 yet. Perhaps there are several intake manifold leaks and I have fixed one. I'll check the exhaust manifold next since New England salt corrodes everything.
Not sure what next. I've never changed any of the sensors (O2, CKP/TDC, CYP) though that gets expensive.:cool: