Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   96 Accord cooling problem/plz help!!! (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/96-accord-cooling-problem-plz-help-34744/)

Touge07 09-07-2010 12:02 PM

96 Accord cooling problem/plz help!!!

Hey guys, i just picked up a salvaged 96 accord lx with 125k original miles. Everything seems to be working fine except i just realized that i havent heard the radiator fan come on. Yesterday i was driving slowly around the neighborhood and the temp went up but not all the way to the red, more like in between red and normal. Could this be from the fan not coming on or does it sound like a thermostat or water pump problem. Thanks in advance

howheather 09-07-2010 01:12 PM

RE: 96 Accord cooling problem/plz help!!!

I had a similar problem with my 94 Accord. Check the blower motor relay (inside hood, far right, mounted next to headlight) - operates your right fan, left fan is a/c fan.

If this doesn't help by itself, then I'd suggest having your thermostat replaced after.

That's exactly what I did.

JimBlake 09-07-2010 01:38 PM

Follow the LOWER radiator hose back to the thermostat housing (kinda below the throttlebody). In the T-stat housing is a fan switch with a plastic plug with 2 wires. Unplug that & jumper between the 2 wires with a paperclip or little piece of wire.

Key-ON, that should make both fans run. IF IT DOES, then you've just proven everything is OK in that circuit (motors, wiring, relays, etc) and then you want to replace that fan switch.

If that doesn't make the fans run, post back & we'll have to go from there to figure out what's wrong.

(Don't forget to look for wiring problems at that switch, for example wires pulled apart or broken.)

Touge07 09-07-2010 10:45 PM

thanks for the help guys, when you say jump the switch you mean like with jumping cables to the battery? i think ill try this first before switching anything out

PAhonda 09-07-2010 10:54 PM

On the green plug that connects to the sensor, connect the two pins together with a piece of wire or a thin paperclip. Then turn the key to the II position.

Touge07 09-07-2010 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 215530)
On the green plug that connects to the sensor, connect the two pins together with a piece of wire or a thin paperclip. Then turn the key to the II position.

Ok great thanks! i was about to jumpstart a switch with giant cables lol. I will hopefully do this tomorrow and ill post how it goes.

Touge07 09-09-2010 02:51 PM

ok guys new update, i did the thin paper clip thing and the fans didnt turn on w the ac on. So where should i go from now,thanks again:(

PAhonda 09-09-2010 03:26 PM

Plug back in the temp sensor A. Unplug the connectors to the fans. Start the car and turn on the A/C. Use a volt meter to see if there is 12V across the two pin that plug into each fan.

If you have 12V, then the fan motors are bad. If you don't have 12V, you will have more electrical troubleshooting to do.

Touge07 09-10-2010 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 215684)
Plug back in the temp sensor A. Unplug the connectors to the fans. Start the car and turn on the A/C. Use a volt meter to see if there is 12V across the two pin that plug into each fan.

If you have 12V, then the fan motors are bad. If you don't have 12V, you will have more electrical troubleshooting to do.

OK ill try to get my hands on a volt meter tomorrow, thanks for helping me out!