Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   96 accord DX wont start (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/96-accord-dx-wont-start-51158/)

Hamster108 10-31-2012 08:09 PM

96 accord DX wont start

Has fuel from injectors
Has great spark
Coil tested great, distributor and all internal components used from a known working car.
Timing is perfect, belt did not jump
Compression is all there
No check engine light, all powers up as normal cranks, but wont start
Wont start with ether
Plugs, wires and rotor point to the right direction as removed. Wires all go to their appropriate places.

Drove the car 2 days ago, drove perfect. Parked it come back this morning wont start, many threads here on same subject without a solution, please help.

PAhonda 10-31-2012 08:37 PM

How did you test for spark?

If you get the car to TDC by lining up the crank pulley with the mark on the lower timing belt cover, does the end of the rotor point to the #1 spark plug wire? Did you check the firing order of the spark plugs (1-3-4-2)? Did you try the coil from the known working car?

Hamster108 10-31-2012 08:47 PM

The coil passes the Ohm test all 3 ways
The firing order is as it was when I took the car apart, no changes were made from the time i drove it, as all the wires were connected to the same cap when i swapped the distributors, which lined up when i swapped them.
I tested for spark by yanking all the plugs out and cranking the motor, all had great spark.
all marks line up on the timing pulleys.

Fubz 10-31-2012 08:57 PM

Im trying 2 pic that motor. It is cranking but no turn over. You say timing hasn't slipped, I would check 4 vaccume leaks, make sure you are getting fuel 2 injectors, and mas

Hamster108 10-31-2012 09:01 PM

what?

Roader 10-31-2012 11:20 PM

You get nothing when it cranks...no indication of combustion whatsoever? What are the compression readings? Are the plugs wet when you pull them out after cranking the engine?

Hamster108 11-01-2012 09:58 AM

plugs are wet. There is compression.
engine acts like its on the verge of firing for a split second. Wont fire on ether.

JimBlake 11-01-2012 11:19 AM

Try new plugs?

Years ago I had a problem where the engine had flooded; after I fixed that it still wouldn't start. Plugs were wet with gasoline, but they looked so nice that I was too stubborn to replace them. Eventually my wife called me a cheap-@$$ & told me to put in new plugs. Started right up.

Hamster108 11-01-2012 11:29 AM

The plugs spark.

Roader 11-01-2012 11:57 AM

In atmospheric pressure. Doesn't mean they spark in the 150psi combustion chamber environment. A $10 investment in new plugs, considering the troubleshooting you've done so far, seems prudent.