Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   96 accord electrical issues (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/96-accord-electrical-issues-66369/)

wyatt96 12-17-2018 06:21 PM

96 accord electrical issues

i own a 96 accord 5 speed. my lights are very dim interior and exterior unless i take off and gun the car my .tac. and speedometer. are bouncing around somtimes stop working completely and my radio cuts on and off.... tac and speedo are working with the blinkers to...will twitch in the direction i turn.

PAhonda 12-17-2018 06:37 PM

Have you done any work on your car recently before this issue started happening?

I'd probably start by measuring the voltage across the battery posts to be sure you have >12.6 volts with the car shut off. Start the car and your voltage across the battery posts should be >13 volts.

The next step would be to check your wiring/connections using your volt meter to do a voltage drop test. That can help pinpoint your issue.

If you don't want to go through testing the wiring to verify, I'd start by disconnecting the battery and clean the posts and the connections with a wire brush or sandpaper to see if the problem is corrected.

Let us know what you find and we can give you more direction.

wyatt96 12-17-2018 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda (Post 383486)
Have you done any work on your car recently before this issue started happening?

I'd probably start by measuring the voltage across the battery posts to be sure you have >12.6 volts with the car shut off. Start the car and your voltage across the battery posts should be >13 volts.

The next step would be to check your wiring/connections using your volt meter to do a voltage drop test. That can help pinpoint your issue.

If you don't want to go through testing the wiring to verify, I'd start by disconnecting the battery and clean the posts and the connections with a wire brush or sandpaper to see if the problem is corrected.

Let us know what you find and we can give you more direction.

..mabye 2 momths ago i had to replace the timming belt ..snapped on me had to replace the c.p.s wemt ahead while i had motor apart chamged out water pump bought new alternator. all new belts spark plugs and and wires battery is about 4 years old .i wemt to change out my radio from the touchscreen ive had in it for a few years now with a more up to date version and it souned very distorted and staticy so i took it back installed the old radio i had in it before and about a week later it started doimg wat its doing now. even swapped alternator thincking i gt a bad one...

BrokeAccord 12-17-2018 09:48 PM

Check for power steering fluid leaking on to serpentine belt. Also make sure that you have your alternator adjusted tight enough to not let your belt slip. Had a similar problem, but the main bolt that holds the alternator in actually dethreaded in my case. I would get your battery checked, but before that I would crank the car and disconnect the battery to be sure your alternator is working as intended. Be careful if you go that route. Alternate option just get AutoZone to test the alternator. Good luck